• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help choosing a tailor in Milwaukee

Joshua P

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

I am a recent law grad who is just starting my legal career, and I am looking for some advice on making the best out of my current wardrobe, as well as suggestions for moving forward. I understand that fit is paramount to dressing well, and while I cannot afford a whole new better fitting wardrobe overnight, I would like to start making what I have fit. I have tried to use the resources that I have, but I have come up short. Most of my former classmates or co-workers just take their clothes to the dry cleaners to get something hemmed. And if I knew a local man who dressed impeccably I would ask, but unfortunately I don't have any such relationships (yet). I also did a search here and askandy but I didn't get any results. So, if any member knows of a good place to get alterations in the Milwaukee, WI area, I would sincerely appreciate his suggestion. That said, I would prefer not to have to travel as far as Chicago, but if needs be, I can make a day of it.

This leaves me with yelp.com and I dropped off a jacket at Oleg Yusufov Custom Tailor. Is there a better way to audition a tailor than giving him a jacket? In the future, should I start with something more basic like pants or a OCBD? Lastly, I have another question about price: provided that the jacket is altered well, what is a reasonable rate to pay for such an alteration?

And for any member that has read this far, thank you for your time. Any suggestions are welcome, and please let me know if this is better posted elsewhere.

Regards,

Joshua

Joshua P

Reaction score
I needed to PM someone and need to have a post count of 2 do it.

Yale Cameron

Reaction score
Joshua, I grew up in Milwaukee, enjoy it its a great town. When I was there I was not at an age where suits were necessary. however, my father used to get his suits at Roger Stevens in the Pfister hotel. Its really a very good mens store. I would advice you to go there and see if they can do the alterations, if they won't I am sure they can point you in the right direction.

Joshua P

Reaction score
Yale,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have actually stopped into Rodger Stevens before. At the time, I was looking for some suits but I didn't feel very welcome during my visit. While that might have had something to do with the fact that I was shopping at the lower end of RS's offerings, I still didn't like how I was treated. That said, you are the second person to make that recommendation in the last day"”a former DA at a dinner last night made the same suggestion. I guess I will call and make an appointment and give it one more try.

I do have a follow up question: other than by examining the finished product, how should I pick a tailor? Also, when you have more than one piece of clothing that needs to be altered, which piece would you use to audition a tailor"”something simple like pants or a shirt, or something more complex like a jacket or blazer?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Joshua

Yale Cameron

Reaction score
to be honest, I don't really "audition" tailors. Typically I get pieces altered when I buy them. So, I tend to jsut buy them at reputable stores (like a roger stevens). In my experience those types of stores use tailors who do so much alterations work since virtually everything bought needs some alterations, that they will do a pretty good job. then, if I lose weight or whatever I will just go back to the store where I bought the pieces to have more alterations work done. Because you need a new suit, what I would do if I was you, is go to Roger stevens and see if there is something you like, get the new suit and have them alter it, if you are happy with that, I would then tell them that you have other things that need altered and ask if they can do that or if they have a recommendation of somewhere you can have that done.

Joshua P

Reaction score
While I am not in the market for a suit right now, when it comes time for another suit, I hope to shop at a place like RS. It sounds like that patronizing a store such as RS will likely address my sartorial needs. However, currently my clothing budget is modest and I can't afford a new suit and the alterations I need (nor would a new suit be warranted professionally just yet). So, I guess my search continues.

That said, Yale, thanks again for your insight. It's good to know that down the line, that I likely won't have these troubles.

Regards,

J

Yale Cameron

Reaction score
Joshua, in that case I may still go into RS. Just explain to them that right now you are not in the market for a new suit. Right now you jsut need some alterations and then in a year or so you will be getting a couple new suits and you are thinkign that you will want to do that with RS, so you were wondering if you could get the alterations done there or seeking advice on where you could do it. In this way, you are being totally honest and they will understand that you are a young guy who could be a source of much business in the future. On your end, you be able to see if you like their attitude and like the alterations work they do for you or recommend to you to see how you like their work. Plus, you will be able to start building a relationship so that in the future you can meet your needs withotu running all over the place. Anyway, thats just another suggestion and how I would probably do it. I have seen results from doing this sort of the thing in the past. All these stores like it when a young guy wants to build a relationship for stuff in the future. If you tell them exactly what you are doing, they will know you are serious and not dismiss you I would think.

Joshua P

Reaction score
Yale, that sounds like a wonderful plan. I will do just that. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Josh, I'm curious what your experiences were, both with RS and with the tailor you said you had "auditioned." I've gone to him before (and have been quite satisfied so far), but if you have found anything better I'm certainly interested.

Mike

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RS definitely tends to discriminate by what you're wearing, and I've had your exact experience. Wear something nice on your next visit and there'll be a change. Also explain your situation and they'll look at you as a future customer.

There are four good Men's stores in the MKE:
Suiters in Brookfield (http://www.suiterslimited.com/)
Mark Berman & Sons in Mequon (http://www.bermanbasics.com/)
Harley's (http://www.harleys4men.com/)
and RS whom you've visited.

And Bayshore has BB.

All four stores have different strengths. Berman & Sons do a huge spring and fall sale, so you should stop in to get on their mailing list for that, if nothing else. Great people too.

Suiters did a great job on some trousers I got there when I was in a hurry for a meeting.

Harley's had the best selection of pocket squares, but lots of their other stuff tends toward fashion forward (to my tastes).

Had I not found my tailor, I was most likely going to try the RS or Suiters MTM programs.

My suggestion to you would be to start building your basics and visit all four stores to try their services out and enjoy seeing the selections. Get just enough pieces to get by and aim to have your auditions done for spring or fall (whichever time frame fits your budget better) when they will have MTM trunk shows.

With the MTM trunk shows you'll be able to get measured by the factory reps and a discount off the normal rates.

Good luck on your wardrobe and career.

Joshua P

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeH
Josh, I'm curious what your experiences were, both with RS and with the tailor you said you had "auditioned." I've gone to him before (and have been quite satisfied so far), but if you have found anything better I'm certainly interested.

Mike

Hey Mike H,

My trip to RS was mainly just to look and get a feel of what they offered. But I hope to swing back soon and drop of a jacket or pants and see about their work. Meanwhile, I am happy with the two garments that Oleg Yusufov has altered thus far. I am going to visit the shops that countdemoney mentioned, and I will update this thread with my experiences.

And countdemoney, thanks for offering those suggestions. But I am curious, who is your tailor?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads