1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help Choosing a Pair of Brogues

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay-B, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Jay-B

Jay-B Member

Hey everyone,

I am wanting to buy my first set of brown brogues for Christmas and I want to see what options are out there for me. I am going for a particular design based on the following rules:

- 100% real leather and quality overall construction

- Slim, but not flat heels. No chunky platforms.

- Lighter to medium shade of brown

- Slender rounded toe. Nothing pointy or square

- Flat toe section. No elf-like upkicks

- Tasteful brogue detailing, but not overkill

Only brogues I've come across so far that fit my requirements are these ones from Ted Baker, but I am not sure of the quality: http://www.asos.com/Ted-Baker/Ted-B...d=11941&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Tan

I've also seen some gorgeous ones for Fratelli Borgioli, however they are hard to come by and are a bit out of my price range.

So if you have any suggestions that match my criteria, then I would love to hear them!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

3. Jay-B

Jay-B Member

I would like to keep it under $300

4. NoCleverName

NoCleverName Senior member

5. Jay-B

Jay-B Member

6. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

7. Jay-B

Jay-B Member

I wouldn't say that those are too pointy however I would go any pointier. I like the more minimal brogue pattern that has been done with this shoe compared to the Allen Edmonds. What would be the best place to order these?

8. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

You can do better than Ted Baker shoes.

9. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  10. Jay-B

Jay-B Member

Thanks. I just sent them a message. Those Loakes do look good, however I prefer the more minimal patterning of the Beaufort shoe : http://www.langer-messmer.de/loake-beaufort-farbe-hellbraun-4225.html

I like the way the broguing has been done on the Loakes more than the Allen Edmonds. How do these shoes stack up in terms of quality compared to the Meermins?

11. Jay-B

Jay-B Member

Just heard back from Meermin. I can get 10164 model shipped to Australia for about $310 AUD which is about $30 more than the Loakes.

So far it's a toss up between these two:

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...&catid=20&oldcolid=2872&stype=0&colourid=2873

http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1967

I am more partial to the brogue pattern of the Loakes due to them having wingtips. Does Meermin make a wingtipped brogue? I really like my wingtips however I would go for the Meermins if they are better in quality than the Loakes for the price.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  12. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I've neither handled shoes of the 1880 series of Loake nor ones of Meermin but judging from various reports from members of this forum they are both great value for money.

13. Jay-B

Jay-B Member

Thanks for your help Louis XIV. pediwear.co.uk can ship the Loakes that I want with shoe trees and tan shoe polish for about $290 AUD which is under my original budget. I've pretty much settled on the Loake Beafords. Now I just need to find myself a nice set of stone chinos to go with them!

14. GBR

GBR Senior member

What comprises a "nice set of stone chinos "? Or do you just mean a nice pair of stone chinos?

15. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

The meermins are a nicer shoe IMO.

16. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

At that price point I'd say Loake, Barker or Cheaney. The latter two are better quality than Loake 1880.

Increase your budget to £230 and you'll get a much better shoe.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012