• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help buying my first tailored suit -- in NYC -- for my wedding in October! Help!

alephbot

Reaction score
Hi there. I have been reading these forums lately in attempt to figure out a solution to my problem -- I figure time is of the essence and I need to act.

Put simply: I need your help. I am getting married in October and want to buy a suit. Namely, I want to have a suit tailored, as opposed to buying one off the rack. I am not looking to spend a lot of money (if it could be kept below $1000 that would be very good). I will also need a shirt... and a vest.

I have never had a suit made, and have little experience buying them. I'm quite tall, but thin, which presents problems for buying off the rack suits, and I'm looking for a classic, lean cut. Something that "fits," obviously.

Today I tried to visit International Tailor Co. (AKA Tim the Tailor) who told me he had retired, though I'm not sure this is true. I also spoke with someone at Beckenstein (the Fabric Czar!), and I have read about Mr. Ned and others.

I really need to be pointed in the right direction, and would love any and all advice!

Thanks in advance!

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Ned is probably the best bet but you need to get moving so that you have time to make adjustments on the suit.

Izzy is also highly regarded by some on this board... I haven't used him so i cannot really comment.

Dolle Dolf

Reaction score
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=72160 Here is my tux and pictures, got it from Al Certo in Secaucus, NJ, just outside the Lincoln tunnel in NJ. The cognoscenti seem to rate it and I am very happy with it. Also, for entertainment value Al can't be beat He does business suits also, for about $1200. I think it is worth it, it is real custom and not MTM. In NYC there is a "Mr Ned" who does MTM work and is well regarded by the community at Askandyaboutclothes.com. You could get a tailored MTM suit there for under $1k. Also, there is shirtmaven, who can fix you up with a tailored shirt for under $100. Mr. Ned and shirtmaven also appear to be really close distance wise, somewhere on 5th Ave in lower Manhattan. Look for them on the askandyaboutclothes forum, if not here (I would think so but I am only just starting out here). Good luck.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ned will do a fine job on the suit for under $1000. it is a custom made suit. not MTM. Shirt will be no problem, but something special (Italian 100/2)will be closer to $175 rather then $100.

You mention a vest. are you looking for an odd vest, or one to match your suit.
If you are looking for an od festive silk vest, go to Rosen and and chadick on 40th and sevetn ave. they have a great selection of English and Italian silk. suitable for ties and vests.
I could help you get ties or vest made.

congratulations on your upcoming wedding
I Know that Al Certo makes an excellent garmant, but unless you own a car or live in NJ, the time spent getting to Seacacus for fittings may not be worth it.

Carl

JordanB

Reaction score
CEGO and Mr. Ned are definitely recommended. Time is of the essence, though. Mr. Ned can take a month or so and Carl is probably 2-3 weeks. Things could be rushed in theory, but you should go in this week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads