• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help buying first suit...

ryanb22

Reaction score
Every time I see a suit online that I think I like, I search for reviews and then I always find a thread where people are bashing the suit or the manufacturer.

I am a college senior, 6'3", 190 lbs, and very muscular and fit for my weight. I'm white but I have a darker complexion and tan very easily. I have an outgoing and daring personality and find black suits to be boring as hell. Also, I'm moving to Florida this fall, so I need a suit that will be good in very hot weather. I will never wear the suit in colder weather. In terms of fabrics, I've been avoiding wool and looking at chino, cotton, linen, etc.

I'm looking for a suit that will cost me $500 max including a nice undershirt or two, and maybe a tie. I was looking at the following suits from J CREW, but then I went reading and people have said they suck.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/oxfordludlowsuiting/PRDOVR~70177/70177.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/seersuckersuiting/PRDOVR~24094/24094.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/italianchinosuiting/PRDOVR~66267/66267.jsp

I don't know where to look any more. I'm going in circles. People tell me to go to Means Wearhouse, then I find a hundred people bashing on it. Every brand and store people have told me about has led me in a circle of hating and bashing, and then I will look to another place.

Can someone just tell me where to look for a suit for $500 or less, probably off the rack?

I have no clue what I'm doing and I'm sick of wasting my time.

Thanks

jammyo40

Reaction score
You should also specify what the intended use for this suit will be.

Regardless, Brooks Brothers is typically the first place where I'd look for a nice, first suit. They have sales VERY often.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Every time I see a suit online that I think I like, I search for reviews and then I always find a thread where people are bashing the suit or the manufacturer. 
I am a college senior, 6'3", 190 lbs, and very muscular and fit for my weight. I'm white but I have a darker complexion and tan very easily. I have an outgoing and daring personality and find black suits to be boring as hell. Also, I'm moving to Florida this fall, so I need a suit that will be good in very hot weather. I will never wear the suit in colder weather. In terms of fabrics, I've been avoiding wool and looking at chino, cotton, linen, etc. 
I'm looking for a suit that will cost me $500 max including a nice undershirt or two, and maybe a tie. I was looking at the following suits from J CREW, but then I went reading and people have said they suck.
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/oxfordludlowsuiting/PRDOVR~70177/70177.jsp
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/seersuckersuiting/PRDOVR~24094/24094.jsp
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/italianchinosuiting/PRDOVR~66267/66267.jsp
I don't know where to look any more. I'm going in circles. People tell me to go to Means Wearhouse, then I find a hundred people bashing on it. Every brand and store people have told me about has led me in a circle of hating and bashing, and then I will look to another place. 
Can someone just tell me where to look for a suit for $500 or less, probably off the rack? 
I have no clue what I'm doing and I'm sick of wasting my time. 
Thanks

ryanb22, your post is very discombobulated and so I am not getting into details
A wool suit in Super 100's or Super 150's can easily be worn in summer but it will cost you a lot more than $500
Use the search feature and search 'first suit'. Everything you'll need to know is there. Lurk 'n Learn.
Here: http://www.styleforum.net/search.php?search=first+suit Be patient and research.
Welcome to Styleforum.

You should also specify what the intended use for this suit will be.

+1

ryanb22

Reaction score
How was my post discombobulated? All I want is recommendations for a sub $500 suit that will be worn in very hot weather.

I'm going to be using the suit for job interviews, business fairs, business meetings, formal get togethers etc.

I looked at the "Summer Suits" dection on the Brooks Brothers site. Only a few of them will be in my price range. Namely, the seersucker suits and their poplin suit.

Heres the poplin suit:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat..._Id=1641410&Parent_Id=216&default_color=Stone

I dont think seersucker should be the way to go if I'll only be owning one suit for now, right? Is seersucker generally unacceptable for job interviews? I'm an electrical engineering major, by the way.

I like the poplin suit in the "stone" color, though.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I said 'discombobulated' there were 2 reasons.
First I sensed your frustrations with the selection process and secondly, it is a great old word that deserves to be used once in awhile and I am personally going to bring it back. :)

I would recommend starting with a suit in either charcoal grey or navy for interviews. a mans second suit would be the other of the two. From there, a pinstripe.
Electrical engineering, as with most engineering fields require a suit only for special meetings and occasions and there is usually fair warning before the event so you would be fine with the one suit. Whether on a job site or at the office, most people that i have seen working in engineering wear casual. Some wear a sport jacket but most don't even go that far.
Now as to your suggestion in the Brooks Brothers poplin suit; it is a fine summer suit. Personally I would not wear it to an interview but anytime after getting the job is fine. Where it is 'ok' to wear a tan coloured suit to an interview is something I cannot answer. I don't know.
For an interview, sticking with Navy or Charcoal is the safest bet. Clean, elegant and quiet.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This probably has too much linen (too wrinkly at over, say, 30%), but it might be worth an inquiry, if local. Trying on before buying is almost always the way to go.
http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_329046

"Tropical weight wool" is something to look for. Anything should be mostly wool to look conservative. A general location would help.

Reaction score
I'll quote Despos from another thread:
Quote:
Start by going to local brick & mortar stores that fall on the spectrum of low to high end and just start trying on suits to see what fits best off the rack. Don't pay full retail for suits at any of those places unless you need the suit now. Most suits at any one of those stores will eventually go on sale, e.g. Brooks Brother's discounted their suits by 60% recently so suits that retailed for $998 or $1098 were on sale for $449.

For any one of those suits, you'll find an opinion here that says it sucks and that you could have gotten something better at the same price or should have paid (a little or a lot) more for something significantly better.

Set your budget and choose what fits you best and don't come here asking if you made a good purchase :)

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For any one of those suits, you'll find an opinion here that says it sucks and that you could have gotten something better at the same price or should have paid (a little or a lot) more for something significantly better.

Set your budget and choose what fits you best and don't come here asking if you made a good purchase :)

^this is good advice.

Everyone has an opinion but they are always comparing it to their own taste. "Oxxford is for old men, Hickey too boxy, Zegna overpriced", and so on. Try on many brands to see what fits you best off the rack, even the Brooks Brothers models vary.

Mandres

Reaction score
you don't want linen or cotton for your business suit. You want gray wool, possibly a summer-weight wool if you can find one. I would suggest checking out Neiman Marcus last call or a similar outlet for a bargain on a mid-high end OTR brand like Hickey Freeman.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet another similar post in a few days - try 'search' perhaps? Maybe that is too much.

Your best bet is to go into a shop and see what is on sale - there are MANY threads on here about sales priced goods etc. Forget the net as you are not used to buying suits you need to try them on - words such as " 6'3", 190 lbs, and very muscular and fit for my weight" do not enable anyone to guess what will fit you.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll quote Despos from another thread: 

Start by going to local brick & mortar stores that fall on the spectrum of low to high end and just start trying on suits to see what fits best off the rack.  Don't pay full retail for suits at any of those places unless you need the suit now. Most suits at any one of those stores will eventually go on sale, e.g. Brooks Brother's discounted their suits by 60% recently so suits that retailed for $998 or $1098 were on sale for $449.

+1

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Suit for interviews? Just keep it simple in solids - navy or grey suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads