• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 2: MTM Shirts courtesy of Drinkwaters

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 1st auction of the year is for a Goodies from No Man Walks Alone. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need Help Buying Coat!

Reaction score
Having lived in southern california most of my life, I have never had to buy a coat. However, now that I am in Pennsylvania where it is snowing, I figured it would be a good investment. I am looking for something that is longer than a pea coat but does not go past my knees. Maybe something like this: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2988110/...bo=6004479&P=2 or: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2991384/...bo=6004479&P=3 Some questions: 1. Is there a specific name for this type of coat? 2. My understanding is that these coats are generally made to wear over a suit. However, I will probably just be wearing it more casually over a sweater + shirt. Do I need to get it altered or can I just wear it bit loosely over my sweater? 3. Do people get these coats tailored like they would with a suit jacket? 4. Can I wear these with jeans and loafers or are these usually worn with dress shirt + tie + dress pants thanks!!

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search for a 3/4 length coat or a car coat. You would probably need to size down a size or have it tailored because they are nominally sized to go over a coat, not just a shirt.

I think you can wear them with a shirt and jeans if they are above the knee. My personal view is that long overcoats are too dressy to go with jeans and casual wear.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 32.0%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 115 15.7%
  • 31 - 40