• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help buying a gift for a "special" female friend who has been good to me (WTB?)

Cognacad

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen (and if I am lucky maybe a lady or two?)

I have a very good friend who lives in Belgium, and I live in Canada. She is very special to me and she has been very good to me. If you see that as an innuendo you are not far off the mark.

We met in Venice and long story short she was going to move to Canada to live with me as my girlfriend, but things didn't work out and now we are just "friends". She and her parents were kind enough to invite me over for the holidays. I will be spending three weeks, including christmas and new years, with her and her wonderful family.

I am looking to give her a special gift (I am familiar with Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg!). When I visit her in Belgium I stay there for free, she feeds me, and doesn't allow me to clean anything, she does everything, and I am basically just a king when I am there!

I ordered some perfume today for her mother and a tie for her father (from this forum!) Each of her parents have also been great to me and I think these gifts will work out well for them.

My dilemma lies in what to buy for the 29 year old fashionable and sophisticated beautiful young woman with whom I have shared past romances with. She isn't my GF, so a ring or something like that wouldn't work, and at the same time, neither would a nice pair of socks. I am looking for spend about 60-100$. Maybe a bracelet? I don't know...

I was thinking of wine glasses, but my female roommate and her mother really didn't like the idea. They said: "we're women. and if a guy friend came overseas and brought me wine glasses.... I dunno man!" There was a sweet deal for glasses in the WTS: Others forum, but those won't work out, I spoke to the buyer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you are looking to sell me something, that would be great too! Haha. She likes burberry and such, but that is probably too expensive for me, at least new. She said she would like a wallet, but I can't imagine buying one that would look good and be suitable to her needs.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cashmere scarf and gloves? Anything cheap from hermes? Coin purse from a recognized over priced brand? A nice bottle of wine for the two of you in the hopes of...

Cognacad

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies gents.

Scarf is a good idea, I might try tracking one down. She already has a nice burberry one but it is getting a bit old, might be a good idea. Where would I get something cheap from hermes?

You guys think making a WTB announcement would be a good idea? I haven't made one before.

As for the wine, that will happen every night, with the hopes of....

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
As for the wine, that will happen every night, with the hopes of....
Wait, wait, so sorry, but are you looking for gift ideas for someone who is very special to you or for how to go about discrete payment for services rendered? These are different concepts. If the former, you should know the woman in question well enough. If the latter, whatever. ~ H

Monaco

Reaction score
What girl doesn't love a pair of Louboutins? just sayin...it is what makes a woman melt nowadays.

A bracelet would be nice as well, forget the scarf, that is so not special for somebody that IS special to you.

BTW, if these people always take care of you when you visit and don't let you lift a finger, their holiday gift has to be something WORTH it.

Personally, if it was me, and I was staying there for 3 weeks, I'd first show up and bust out some delectables exclusive to Canadian cultures. Definitely bring some special Canadian wine/ice wine whatever different special meals you will share with the family. As for her parents, a perfume for the mother would be good but a tie for the father will likely not work, try to exceed their expectation of you.

Good luck with the girl, I hope you guys have a circumstance to get together someday.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you ain't getting Louboutins for $60-100 unless you catch one of the spammers on this site before they get deleted. Also, Monaco, you are completely right, he needs to bring something(s) Canadian. I'm being serious. Belgian people live minutes away from France, they don't want Hermes, they probably don't need perfume or wine glasses either. Maple syrup trumps all of those in this particular situation.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For the girl (the above was referring to the parents, really); $60-100 in 2010 money, for a girl you're visiting on a different continent? That is 'use your imagination' money, don't bother to try and stretch it on luxury goods.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
Cashmere scarf and gloves? Anything cheap from hermes? Coin purse from a recognized over priced brand? A nice bottle of wine for the two of you in the hopes of...

first time i've seen cheap and hermes used in the same sentence, and not in a negative sense

haiguise

Reaction score
How about a nice pearl necklace?

Cognacad

Reaction score
Not sure if that is serious of a joke but.... probably not the best idea. I love the idea of the Ice Wine, I will certainly do that and bring a bottle, no doubt.

A bracelet might be a good idea, I just need to figure out where I could/should buy one.

She is very special to me and I want her to be happy, this is no way a payment for services rendered!

She LOVES peanut butter and kraft dinner so I will bring some of that and some Reeses too (she has never had any, but I know she sill LOVE them). I will bring some of these, but they don't really count as a "gift".

Maple sirop, yeah might be a good idea, but I am not sure how much she would use it and her dad would probably just destroy it.

Tarzan

Reaction score
Ok, let's see, she's 29, fashionable and sophisticated.
How about a pair of black pearl earrings?
Like these for example

black852.jpg

black851.jpg

Or white like these

white82.jpg

white81.jpg

Or something like these

DSCN0137.jpg

You could also go for a pearl necklace like these

DSCN0096.jpg

If you want more detailed pics and prices of specific items just ask.
I could also give you some ideas for pendants and crosses but you would have to raise your budget a little, unless you don't need the 18k white gold chain.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
She LOVES peanut butter and kraft dinner so I will bring some of that and some Reeses too (she has never had any, but I know she sill LOVE them). I will bring some of these, but they don't really count as a "gift".

My dilemma lies in what to buy for the 29 year old fashionable and sophisticated beautiful young woman
Lol, what?

countcount

Reaction score
She said she would like a wallet, but I can't imagine buying one that would look good and be suitable to her needs.

She has already told you what she wants/needs. This should make your search much easier.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I applaud your effort but just saying the threak title is REALLY creepy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads