• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help: Bought Bruno Magli Tavvo Cap Toe... Keep?

boomchunka

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and have spent awhile trying to answer this question on my own, but I need the help of the experts. My apologies if this is in the wrong place!

First off, I'm entering financial services consulting next year, and it being boxing day I decided to try to find a nice pair of dress shoes that I can wear with a suit for next year (probably going with an English cut). I was at Nordstroms and was originally looking for an inexpensive pair of Allen Edmonds when I stumbled upon Bruno Magli Tavvo's (neither AE's Park Ave's nor the 5th Ave's were on sale). I decided to purchase them, as they were $259, making them less expensive than what seemed to be stodgier AE's with harder leather.

I couldn't find any info about these Tavvo's online except that Sierra Trading Post seems to have sold them a few months ago for $255 but no longer. The style is very similar to BM's Maioco's from what I could tell. They're a very comfortable black cap-toe oxford with a leather sole and what I believe to be full-grain (not corrected) leather. IMO they are much more stylish than the AE's, and have more supple, though thinner, leather.

My question to you all: did I get fleeced by paying $260 for these BM Tavvo's? Don't get me wrong - I really liked them in store, and it was only after looking up BM on SF that I got worried I made the wrong choice! While buyer's remorse is the worst, I could still probably return them if this is a real mistake. And if I returned them, can I get some recommendations for the best sub-$300 shoe out there? I'm willing to wait for a deal, but I've also read posts telling people to wait for a $100 pair of Park Ave's, and I really don't see that happening!

boomchunka

Reaction score
I really like the look, and got a bunch of compliments from biased parties. That picture is taken close up with a wide-angle lens from what I can tell, so it elongates the shoe unrealistically, not to say that the shoe isn't slightly long. Is that an Italian style?

OldSchoolCharm

Reaction score
I like Bruno Magli. They are very comfortable and women tell me they look very good on me. If you like the shoes you have, keep them. Bruno Magli uses better leather than shoes at the same price.

Haters will come out and hate. If haters could afford better they would pay a little more than $199 for Allen Edmonds on sale. Around $400-500 you get better options, and at $600+ you get really good shoes.

OldSchoolCharm

Reaction score
BTW, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus have their shoes on sale and out. It is worth walking by and looking. Nordstrom has more on sale, Santoni, Ferragamo, Bruno Magli, Allen Edmons. Neiman has some Gucci and Prada on sale.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
I suggest return and keep looking....

^ +1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads