• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help Badly.

Lenteloco

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole men's fashion. I'm getting married in a couple of weeks and for the first time ever I had a custom 3 piece suit and shirt made instead of getting something off the rack. My question is can I wear my dad's vintage suspenders/braces under my vest or would it be overkill?

I've seen a couple of actors do it in films most recently in Inception. Please any info would be greatly appreciated.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome. Braces are perfect for holding your trousers up. They should not be visible so definitely under the vest. No belt if you are wearing braces.

Lenteloco

Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome. Braces are perfect for holding your trousers up. They should not be visible so definitely under the vest. No belt if you are wearing braces.

So it wouldn't be overkill if I wore the braces with my three piece suit? That's great news, I really want to wear my dad's suspenders/braces.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not overkill at all. Wear them in good health.

Biggerstheco

Reaction score
I always wear braces with my suits. Especially if there will be dancing, a little extra support is better than the alternative. If your pants stay in place without help, you can do what you want.

If however, your suit has belt loops, then you may be better off using them rather then having them hang around open. I find wearing a belt with a suit breaks up the lines too much, making one look shorter. Having the loops removed by your tailor should be pretty quick and inexpensive.

Congratulations, btw.

Lenteloco

Reaction score
I always wear braces with my suits. Especially if there will be dancing, a little extra support is better than the alternative. If your pants stay in place without help, you can do what you want.

If however, your suit has belt loops, then you may be better off using them rather then having them hang around open. I find wearing a belt with a suit breaks up the lines too much, making one look shorter. Having the loops removed by your tailor should be pretty quick and inexpensive.

Congratulations, btw.

Gotcha.

I knew I wanted to wear my dad's suspenders so I had the suit pants made with no belt loops just side tabs and had the tailor add suspender buttons.

Thank you.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If however, your suit has belt loops, then you may be better off using them rather then having them hang around open.
Do not do this if you plan to wear a waistcoat. Few things will make you look like you have no clue more definitively than wearing a belt with a three-piece suit.

Lenteloco

Reaction score
Do not do this if you plan to wear a waistcoat. Few things will make you look like you have no clue more definitively than wearing a belt with a three-piece suit.
Ok so If I'm wearing a three piece suit no suspenders? This is why I'm so confused some guys tell me yes others tell me no. So in your opinion you would say no to wearing suspenders/braces with a suit that has a waistcoat/vest?

Lenteloco

Reaction score
Me.png

So this is my vest/waistcoat. You recommend just using the vest/waistcoat and no suspenders right? I know I'm not suppose to button the last button on the vest just wanted to know what it looked like.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this is my vest/waistcoat. You recommend just using the vest/waistcoat and no suspenders right? I know I'm not suppose to button the last button on the vest just wanted to know what it looked like.
It's not complicated. Wear suspenders. Do not wear a belt.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You misunderstood @Andy57 . We are all saying the same thing. Suspenders are the correct choice for a three piece suit. Yes, wear them under the vest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads