• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need haircut advice

mizugori

Reaction score
I really need to get a new haircut. I have no idea what to try; I have gone to a few different salons but they don't have much in the way of suggestions, they tend to give me books of guys haircuts that look like they are from the 80s or 90s. How do I find a good hair stylist who will be able to look at me and know what a good hair style would be for me, and just do it?? I am willing to pay well for it that is not an issue, but I just do not know where to go. Any advice??

Also, I live in Queens (NY) and commute to Long Island every day so if anyone happens to be from the area and knows of a good salon or stylist, please feel free to make a specific suggestion!

Thanks

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
df427_mohawk-50913.jpg

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizugori
I really need to get a new haircut. I have no idea what to try; I have gone to a few different salons but they don't have much in the way of suggestions, they tend to give me books of guys haircuts that look like they are from the 80s or 90s. How do I find a good hair stylist who will be able to look at me and know what a good hair style would be for me, and just do it?? I am willing to pay well for it that is not an issue, but I just do not know where to go. Any advice??

Also, I live in Queens (NY) and commute to Long Island every day so if anyone happens to be from the area and knows of a good salon or stylist, please feel free to make a specific suggestion!

Thanks

And there's your problem. No offense -- from someone who lived in Queens for a long time -- but get yourself into Manhattan and go to a good stylist at B&B or Bergdorf's. Either that or go for Tom Ford simple using only the clippers.

nelly

Reaction score
I am willing to pay well for it that is not an issue, but I just do not know where to go.

Not to be an a-hole, but if that were true you would be living in Manhattan.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you really read what the purpose of this site is?

Two posts in and it is dificult to think of something less relevant.

I will forebear to say 'Spam', but you need to raise your game rather a lot.
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shave your head and buy a wig. I get my wigs from Hermes, Im like so cool.

mizugori

Reaction score
patrick - thank you for the link I am checking it out.

nelly: not to be an a-hole, but you frankly don't know what you're talking about. I live in northeastern Queens in the wealthy area, where single-family homes still go for around 700k even now with the market destroyed. You're thinking of warzone Queens. It's like comparing South Korea to North Korea and saying well it's all Korea so it's pretty much the same...

My current salon charges $30 for a men's haircut and I tip the guy $10. I think $40 is probably more than most men, even the stylish ones, pay for a haircut, and I am willing to pay substantially more for a great stylist, so you are just totally out of line.

Sazerac: I hear you on one hand but I think we're talking about two different worlds within Queens. And the problem is, with my schedule it's inconvenient for me to trek out to the city (Manhattan, for the people who aren't from NY) once a month to get a haircut.

GBR: I have no idea what you're getting at. If this was spam what would my purpose be? I'm not soliciting anything maybe you should read my post again. I googled men's fashion forum and this was one of the top few results - I also signed up and posted my question on askmen forums. If my post is not appropriate for this forum, I am sure a mod will remove it. But I suspect it's just fine.

nelly

Reaction score
nelly: not to be an a-hole, but you frankly don't know what you're talking about. I live in northeastern Queens in the wealthy area, where single-family homes still go for around 700k even now with the market destroyed. You're thinking of warzone Queens. It's like comparing South Korea to North Korea and saying well it's all Korea so it's pretty much the same...
You don't need to "educate" me on Queens/NYC, I know that area well. In no way am I hating on your parents' $700k house in Forest Hills or Bay Terrace. I'm just trying to tell you about a little island 10 miles west filled with luxury goods/services where that $700k mortgage gets you an entry level 1-bedroom in Murray Hill with no doorman. So unless you're a high level executive at CA or a analyst at Renaissance Technologies (still wondering why you're doing the reverse commute from Queens), I suggest you don't go around saying money isn't a consideration in upgrading your $30 haircut, because you are not big time yet.

mizugori

Reaction score
Once again you're making yourself look like an idiot. I tried to be polite the first time, this time I'm getting tired of your childishness. My parents aren't even from NY, nor do they live there now - nice try but wrong again. I'm a self-made man.

And don't play innocent. Come on. You were being a jerk and trying to flame someone new to the boards. How very big of you.

And you do clearly need to be educated - because there are way more slums in Manhattan than Queens.

You have no idea how much I make, what I do, or what my net worth is - so do yourself a favor and give it a rest.

Now if anyone is interested in getting back on topic, I would appreciate some advice. Note that I said advice - not smart aleck comments.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I admire your ability to stick up for yourself. But seriously dude, a guy like you who seems to have things figured out does not need haircut advice. While my prior comment was jestful, you are in the wrong forum asking about haircuts. Show us pictures of your current hairstyle and perhaps some folks will comment whether you need a change. You could also try get opinions from women close to you.

Also if you like a particular hairstyle, print a picture from the internet, take to barber, and say do this! My wife does that all the time, and she does not need a high dollar stylist. Mind you she still pays $200 to get her hair done, but she looks dang awesome. She has had $1000 cuts before, and quite honestly, the $200 job looks just as good. Find a good barber - price aint got nothing to do with it.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Im telling you man......the rat tail is coming back.....

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly you're much better off going to a good barber than a salon. I found my barber by searching barbers in google and going to the guy with the most positive ratings.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
You don't need to "educate" me on Queens/NYC, I know that area well. In no way am I hating on your parents' $700k house in Forest Hills or Bay Terrace.

I'm just trying to tell you about a little island 10 miles west filled with luxury goods/services where that $700k mortgage gets you an entry level 1-bedroom in Murray Hill with no doorman. So unless you're a high level executive at CA or a analyst at Renaissance Technologies (still wondering why you're doing the reverse commute from Queens), I suggest you don't go around saying money isn't a consideration in upgrading your $30 haircut, because you are not big time yet.

WHOAAAAAA Nelly!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads