• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need groom suiting advice for wedding on a boat

element02

Reaction score
My buddy is getting married this month and the ceremony will take place on a boat and the reception is at a yacht club with a rockabilly band. He wants to wear a 2 button khaki suit from Brooks Brothers with a shirt, no tie and leather flip flops. His bride is wearing a white tea length wedding gown with blue trim like the one pictured.

EmmasDress.jpg

I think the khaki suit would somehow clash with this dress. Instead I think a seersucker suit in either blue or gray with canvas deck shoes or vans would look better and be casual enough for both the wedding and the reception.

Do you think that the seersucker would be a better option or should he stick with the khaki suit?

Thanks in advance.

videocrew

Reaction score
I think the first step would be to avoid flip flops and Vans for the wedding, half the guests will think he looks like a jackass, and odds are he will look back at his wedding pictures and think "what the hell was wrong with me?"

As to the suits, I think khakis and a blue blazer would be ideal, single-breasted, and some topsiders.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Frankly, all the options sound awful. What's wrong with a regular dark suit and proper shoes?

element02

Reaction score
The wedding is to take place in the afternoon out in the bay. It gets warm along the Texas coast and dark colours wouldn't really work. Also the bride and groom want to have a somewhat caual wedding.

videocrew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by element02
The wedding is to take place in the afternoon out in the bay. It gets warm along the Texas coast and dark colours wouldn't really work. Also the bride and groom want to have a somewhat caual wedding.
Navy blue poplin would be a great option. So would linen. Who owns the boat?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You mean dark colors wouldn't work because it will be too hot, or for aesthetic reasons? A dark color will make the bride stand out more.

If forced to pick between khacki and seersucker, I'd pick the former. I don't see how the former will clash with a white dress that has blue trim. All those colors go well together. Seersucker tends to look cartoonish and will be very bright--I wouldn't want so much white so near the bride. And casual is one thing, but Vans or flip flops? That sounds more silly than necessary for a casual wedding.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hmm, how about a medium or light grey suit?

I'm gonna give the boat shoes a thumbs down on this one, light brown cap toes instead.

element02

Reaction score
What would be a good cotton option that's not too expensive?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What would be a good cotton option that's not too expensive?

What counts as not too expensive? Check out J. Crew.

element02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You mean dark colors wouldn't work because it will be too hot, or for aesthetic reasons? A dark color will make the bride stand out more.

I was thinking dark colours would be too hot. I agree that it would make the bride stand out more. I'll suggest a navy poplin suit.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you go onto the website The Knot, they have a section with photos. They have beach/shore weddings and lots of guys are getting married in khaki suits, sans tie, with a white shirt and they look pretty good. Some are barefooted, some wear leather sandals, some with shoes.

I think with that look a crisp white Pocket square and a nice flower in the lapel that compliments khaki, like orange, can look very sharp. I think a bride in all her white glory contrasts nicely with the khaki.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm giving away the bride at a wedding in Mexico in May, on the beach. I am wearing a navy cotton/linen blend suit, white linen shirt and brown sandals (request of the bride with the sandals).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads