• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need general fashion / appearance advice

samssf

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is a cross-post from /r/malefashionadvice on reddit.

Background:
I'm 6'3", 38" chest, 37" sleeve length, 28" sleeves from shoulder, 33" waist, 33-34" inseam, 160lbs. Up until three years ago I had no idea my clothes weren't fitting me properly. When I started doing more research into clothing I realized that it's my body shape that makes it difficult to find clothing that fits. So, whereas I used to just buy what looked cool, now I have to find something I like, something of quality, and something that fits me. I also need to do all of this while building a wardrobe of items that are congruent and form one or two specific styles.

Style:
I tend to like to dress more casual for day activities and even work, since everyone I work with dresses casual. However I'm looking for "business-casual" items (for evening dinners, lounges, etc) for a style with crisp lines, neutral colors, grays, black, etc. However I'm don't know that this is best for me since I'm skinny. The neutral colors and sleek lines probably accentuates my form rather than compliments it. My skin is fairly light as you'll see from the photos. Overall, my most important part about style is that it's something that looks masculine - which is why in the past I haven't liked softer styles or warm/soft fabrics.

There are photos of me wearing a black shirt (XL 7 diamonds, altered), Blue shirt (MTM), white shirt (7 Diamonds XL altered), and a check jacket (Ben Sherman L). I'd like to know your comments on each of these, mostly the jacket, since I purchased it recently. I'm afraid it's way too big since the fabric bulks up a lot when I sit down, and I've heard that with thicker fabric, it should fit closer to the body. However I'm afraid if I exchange for a smaller size that it'll be too short. I'm not sure yet whether it can be altered.

I'd like comments on the other items as well, general tips, and anything about my general appearance, although I'll warn you that this wasn't before a night out, I took these at 1am before bedtime.
I'm not wearing any shoes in the photos since I have no decent shoes / boots. I'll be getting some this weekend... either some calfskin chukkas, some chelsea boots, or perhaps some Wolverine 1000 mile boots. I really want my shoes/boots to be an oxblood-like color but seems like almost none exist in any boot/style that interests me.

Photos: http://samssf.imgur.com/clothing/all

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.