• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need food recommendation in London

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just moved to London about 3 weeks ago, have been slaving myself in Canary Wharf ever since..., fortunatelly working hours might finally improve, so would like to explore a bit. Can anyone tell me some good restaurant (but on the cheaper side, I am not in the mood for a fancy place) to try. Prefer a nice little place kind of feel, right now I live in corporate housing in Canary Wharf, but would be soon moving to London Bridge/Borough area.

I have been working around Angel, Borough market, Tottenham and Chinatown, the food experience so far have been... blah is what I would sum it as all (and Canary Wharf only gets worse).

p.s. also where can I find better girl crowd than I what I have seen so far..., this country needs more immigrant, Eastern European and Asian..., what the heck is wrong with 90% of the English girl...

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search function

K

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really a small restaurant, but I frequent the Pizzaexpress across from Tower Place
laugh.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not he cheapest but certainly not the most expensive: Wild Honey

Neal's Yard has take away, Covent Garden and The Borough Market.

I great sandwich on the go is Paxton & Whitfield, St. James. Grab a bag and sit in the park nearby.

Likewise La Fromagerie in Marleybone.

And frankly- for cheap but pretty good grab and go, any of the Pret a Manger's.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982

p.s. also where can I find better girl crowd than I what I have seen so far..., this country needs more immigrant, Eastern European and Asian..., what the heck is wrong with 90% of the English girl...

the accent, probably

you could try chowhound.com for some more "covert" places

theyre generally very reliable but TBH for london its been very disappointing. despite 1/3 of its population foreign born and , by some measures, the largest immigrant community in the world, i found the ethnic foods there disappointing

share back when youve found something note worthy. i surprise people when i say i look forward to going back state-side for the food

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's one of the Chinese places in CHina town- name escapes me, same family that owns the the grocery there, restaurant is above it. Inexpensive and we thought it was fine for the price.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Not really a small restaurant, but I frequent the Pizzaexpress across from Tower Place
laugh.gif

yea, speaking of that, can anyone tell me why so many people in London recommand chain restaurant in general? I don't think it was ever the case in NYC.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Not he cheapest but certainly not the most expensive: Wild Honey

Neal's Yard has take away, Covent Garden and The Borough Market.

I great sandwich on the go is Paxton & Whitfield, St. James. Grab a bag and sit in the park nearby.

Likewise La Fromagerie in Marleybone.

And frankly- for cheap but pretty good grab and go, any of the Pret a Manger's.

I already had Pret a Manger for like 3 weeks for lunch, Wagamama for dinner for 2 weeks, Wasabi for about a week (the worst of all things possible)... though, would definitely give other things a try. How about Asian food by the way? The Korean food/Chinese food I tried were pretty blah so far, I would think there got to be enough Hong Kongness to make it semi decent...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
the accent, probably

you could try chowhound.com for some more "covert" places

theyre generally very reliable but TBH for london its been very disappointing. despite 1/3 of its population foreign born and , by some measures, the largest immigrant community in the world, i found the ethnic foods there disappointing

share back when youve found something note worthy. i surprise people when i say i look forward to going back state-side for the food

I have also tried a few small Italian place, hum, how do I sum it up, not impressed, surprisied given the proximity (and appearently all the Italian I ran into all the time). I am not saying they're bad, it's just nothing special, especially given the price.

p.s. English accent is great, but then I saw the face...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
There's one of the Chinese places in CHina town- name escapes me, same family that owns the the grocery there, restaurant is above it. Inexpensive and we thought it was fine for the price.

all right that will be hard to find, I will give it a shot this weekend or something...

samus

Reaction score
I already had Pret a Manger for like 3 weeks for lunch, Wagamama for dinner for 2 weeks, Wasabi for about a week (the worst of all things possible)... though, would definitely give other things a try. How about Asian food by the way? The Korean food/Chinese food I tried were pretty blah so far, I would think there got to be enough Hong Kongness to make it semi decent...

Miss Wagamama for quick workday lunches now that I'm back stateside. The kare lomen in particular.

L.Maggio

Reaction score

be soon moving to London Bridge/Borough area.

A few years back, I stayed for several months at the London Bridge Hotel and worked near the Hays Galleria. I never had a good meal in that area.

However, I thought the women were above average as a whole.

Good luck.

jungshoe

Reaction score
my favorite places for good cheap eats are misato on wardour street in chinatown (picadilly circus), food for thought in covent garden, chelsea kitchen in sloane square (closed down for a bit but heard it reopened) and any of the stockpots around the city. also, don't forget indian ymca and the malaysia house.

one of the best places to meet women - especially the eastern european and asian types that you are looking for - would be at SOAS in russell square/bloomsbury. i kid you not. go check it out

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all right that will be hard to find, I will give it a shot this weekend or something...

Not hard- it's a pretty small neighborhood and this is right on whatever that main stretch is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads