• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need electronic music recommendations...

paraiso

Reaction score
I love Air.

Check out The Whitest Boy Alive, Neon Indian, Washed Out and Toro Y Moi.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, Animal Magic by Bonobo is a godamned awesome album.
cheers.gif

grouper

Reaction score
Come on, The XX isn't good reading music, and it barely fits the "electronic" description. It's just ****.

Anything by Ulrich Schnauss should do the trick here. And Boards of Canada, of course.

Psyren

Reaction score
Diogenes Club seems like you`d like it based on the video in your first post
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Air - 10,000hz leged is pretty bad ass. Also, as others have mentioned, most Thievery Corp. stuff but also DJ shadows "ulitmate collection" is awesome and flows so well from track to track. Crystal method also has some good stuff.

shootspeed

Reaction score
Washed Out - Feel It All Around

in the same vein as neon indian, but even more laid back.

edit: didn't notice they were already recommended. Darkel is pretty similar (1/2 of Air), but more poppy. you might have heard of Midnight Juggernauts. they just released a new album, very similar to Air and David Bowie. And if you don't have them already, Air's Pocket Symphony and Talkie Walkie.

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Some good stuff have been already mentioned: Thievery Corp Kruder & Dorfmeister (The K&D is perhaps THE Chillout album for me, but dj kicks is very good too) Boards of Canada (one of my favourites, but it's quite an acquired taste) Bent Tosca I'll add: German/Austrian Nu Jazz scene: Trüby Trio, dzihan & Kamien (especially the live album, mind blowing), Jazzanova, De-Phazz, Micatone, Minus 8... Afterlife (Simplicity 2000) for CafÃ
00a9.png
del Mar, Ibiza vibes Kyoto Jazz Massive for an introduction to broken beat Shazz (In the Night) great french deep house Fila Brazillia (Jump Leads is a good start) Nitin Sawhney & Talving Singh RJD2 for abstract hip-hop Beanfield Lamb (What Sound) Last.fm is a good way to get pertinent recommendations based on what you already like. Here's my profile. http://www.last.fm/user/jfelicien I'm mostly into chillout and early 90s Hip-Hop

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can't believe no one's mentioned Massive Attack yet. I have my own category for music like this and call it "Hot Chill" on my playlists. Angel has to be one of the chillest songs ever done.

Did I mention Code Indigo yet? Check out CHILL to start off with.

Eastern Sun is another band to check out.

I have, I think, the entire BOC collection. It is an aquired sound but can work. Some really great stuff.

Try Eastern Duk Tactik, Bombay Dub Orchestra, and Naya.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pio do you listen to Tricky? If you're a big Portishead/Massive Attack fan you'd probably really dig it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Pio do you listen to Tricky? If you're a big Portishead/Massive Attack fan you'd probably really dig it.

Natan, I have some of his stuff. What I find is that the music is good but his voice can't carry things, at least to my ears. The guy is a great talent, just not a great vocalist IMO.

Looking into that Hammock CD but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Can't believe no one's mentioned Massive Attack yet. I have my own category for music like this and call it "Hot Chill" on my playlists. Angel has to be one of the chillest songs ever done.

Did I mention Code Indigo yet? Check out CHILL to start off with.

Eastern Sun is another band to check out.

I have, I think, the entire BOC collection. It is an aquired sound but can work. Some really great stuff.

Try Eastern Duk Tactik, Bombay Dub Orchestra, and Naya.

Tried massive attack but found it sooooooooo boring. The only song that I could really get into was "Karma Coma."

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
51YKBB7AK1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41ZS8AJBSGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

b036b220dca00d1a35fd2010.L._AA300_.jpg
418XRFSCC5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

317DHZRPH3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41F89NWWVCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
xx - intro
stars - the beginning after the end
phoenix - north

Dr. Mabuse

Reaction score
Meat Beat Manifesto

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Four Tet.

Generally I don't think there has been much exciting stuff going on in electronic for a while, maybe some of the Sigur Ros stuff, but I find it too sleep inspiring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads