• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need cheap ugly sweater in NYC

changy

Reaction score
Need it for an upcoming party. Does anyone know where I can pick up one for cheap in the city?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
salvation army thrift store, 6th ave in chelsea

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Narciso
I've been out of NYC for a couple of years now, so forgive me if I am wrong, but has the bed bug epidemic made thrift stores somewhat more undesirable?

For that reason I'm not quite feeling the thrift store. Also, I need the sweater for saturday, so won't have time to dry clean it. I think I'm going to drop by JC Penney and TJ Maxx, co-workes told me they might have some.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
I had a hard time finding an ugly sweater and eventually settled on ebay and found someone within driving distance and let me pick it up (maybe craigslist). I tried Kmart near Penn St. and a ton of thrift stores and came up empty handed. If it's an ugly sweater, do you really need to dry clean it? :p

bartlesby

Reaction score
Seems I'm a bit late on this one, but my favorite vintage places in NYC were located between 2nd Ave and Ave A in the East Village, most around 9th to 6th streets. I found lots of great pieces in those stores for significantly less than I would've payed just a few blocks west.

I saw lots of cheap, ugly sweaters in some of 'em, too. Hope your party is a good time.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bartlesby
Seems I'm a bit late on this one, but my favorite vintage places in NYC were located between 2nd Ave and Ave A in the East Village, most around 9th to 6th streets. I found lots of great pieces in those stores for significantly less than I would've payed just a few blocks west.

I saw lots of cheap, ugly sweaters in some of 'em, too. Hope your party is a good time.

Some good Indian food around there too. If you are lucky you will catch the restaurant owners fighting each other over customers.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get one of those I Love NY sweat shirts and wear it with pride.

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Some good Indian food around there too. If you are lucky you will catch the restaurant owners fighting each other over customers.

I thought indian avenue is on lex and 29th?

I found one at daffy's which has some crazy zig zaging patterns of red brown and white. If Gap or TJ Maxx don't have anything christmas themed, I'll probably go with that. BR is not within the budget consideration.

Will post fit shot once purchased.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jos A. Bank

odiv

Reaction score
The trendy thing lately is to have ugly holiday tie and sweater parties. I've gotten invites for two this season.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a.k.a. "epicurean"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads