• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advise on my next sport coat

The Upright Man

Reaction score
These are the sport coats I own so far:
2rr4gbb.jpg

They are a fawn 75/25 cotton/linen blend, green and beige gunclub with blue over check in 9.5-10oz super 120 wool from John G Hardy and a navy cotton with white MoP buttons.

My question is where do I go next? I'm a post graduate university student and wear jeans/chinos often but I also wear trousers in mid-grey, cream and beige. Most of my shirts are blue or white, either plain or with stripes/checks. I also live in a tropical climate so tweeds and the like are not an option and I rarely wear ties.

If anyone has any suggestions as to another jacket option I would greatly appreciate it.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
You might try a navy jacket in wool (such as fresco) with more subdued (brown) buttons. It would be versatile and could be worn more formally and discreetly than your navy cotton jacket, whose white buttons kinda say "look at me," which is nice but not always appropriate. I presume you're not interested in a blazer with gold buttons.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a statement jacket as you've covered the basics.

The Upright Man

Reaction score

You might try a navy jacket in wool (such as fresco) with more subdued (brown) buttons. It would be versatile and could be worn more formally and discreetly than your navy cotton jacket, whose white buttons kinda say "look at me," which is nice but not always appropriate. I presume you're not interested in a blazer with gold buttons.

Good advise - thanks.

I was thinking a navy fresco would fit the bill actually and agree with your points.

Something like 520 would be nice I think.

15zsiuu.jpg

You need a statement jacket as you've covered the basics.

I'm not particularly fond of really bold jackets but would welcome any suggestions.

ykurtz

Reaction score
Minnis 520 Fresco would be a great choice. The brown button approach is good, but navy horn buttons would work better at night. I have a navy sportcoat with brown buttons, and I only wear it during the day. The brown looks great during the daytime, but when I'm wearing black shoes at night, the brown buttons feel a bit off. Probably wouldn't bother most people though.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There should be a medium or dark gray. The heavy use of blue shirts points away from another navy, as a regular, voluntary blue-on-blue look would be weird.

The Upright Man

Reaction score

Minnis 520 Fresco would be a great choice. The brown button approach is good, but navy horn buttons would work better at night. I have a navy sportcoat with brown buttons, and I only wear it during the day. The brown looks great during the daytime, but when I'm wearing black shoes at night, the brown buttons feel a bit off. Probably wouldn't bother most people though.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered regarding night time wear and black shoes. I imagine navy horn buttons would indeed look great at night also.

There should be a medium or dark gray. The heavy use of blue shirts points away from another navy, as a regular, voluntary blue-on-blue look would be weird.

I understand where you're coming from but I've always thought grey jackets (unless they're light and with some texture) hard to wear with odd trousers?

Last edited:

LilacCords

Reaction score
I'd go with a grey, perhaps a flannel or a tweed?

mason

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Maybe a dark grey/brown combination

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads