• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice: What shirt to wear with this jacket?

Lothar

Reaction score
Well I've had this Schott plaid jacket for about a year and aside from a black t-shirt, can't decide on what looks good underneath it. Any suggestions? I usually wear it with dark blue jeans and a pair of sneakers and the jacket unbuttoned.
schott_759p_thumb.jpg

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's tough to pair a shirt with a plaid exterior or interior jacket, without question. It's like a couple years back when I ordered a custom Birdwell rain coat with green plaid interior.....and realized I could only wear it with a white t-shirt underneath. Everything else looks like ****.

Your options are limited to solid colors. Gray, white, heather, or black, preferably. Something neutral and something that of course agrees with red. Perhaps a navy henley. I personally wouldn't recommend anything with a collar. Obviously no plaid or stripes. The jacket will be the dominant piece and any other item will need to be minimal with respect to drawing the attention of the eye.

Summary: Casual outdoorsy plaid lumberjack wool jacket needs to be accompanied by a simple t shirt, long sleeve t, or henley in either white (preferably), heather, or black. Paired with jeans or darker khakis.

edit; scratch navy as I didn't see the black in the plaid at first.

edit #2; I wouldn't wear sneakers with this jacket. Time to get your bewts out.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What kind of tie are you thinking of wearing with it? And what color shoes, belt, slacks? Also, do you wear glasses, and if so, what color frames? What is your skin tone?

Ivar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
It's tough to pair a shirt with a plaid exterior or interior jacket, without question. It's like a couple years back when I ordered a custom Birdwell rain coat with green plaid interior.....and realized I could only wear it with a white t-shirt underneath. Everything else looks like ****.

Your options are limited to solid colors. Gray, white, heather, or black, preferably. Something neutral and something that of course agrees with red. Perhaps a navy henley. I personally wouldn't recommend anything with a collar. Obviously no plaid or stripes. The jacket will be the dominant piece and any other item will need to be minimal with respect to drawing the attention of the eye.

Summary: Casual outdoorsy plaid lumberjack wool jacket needs to be accompanied by a simple t shirt, long sleeve t, or henley in either white (preferably), heather, or black. Paired with jeans or darker khakis.

This man speaks the truth. Collar-on-collar looks almost always look cluttered. Personally, I would pick a charcoal or mid-grey scoop-neck tee to go with your jacket.

Lothar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide

Yeah I'd really like to be able to sport something with a collar but can't find something I think matches.

Solid colors like you said seems to be the best bet.

Lothar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
What kind of tie are you thinking of wearing with it? And what color shoes, belt, slacks? Also, do you wear glasses, and if so, what color frames? What is your skin tone?

I wasn't really planning on wearing it with a tie. It's really more of a casual jacket but it keeps me warm.

Shoes I wear are usually dark blue or black/grey.

I usually wear this with a pair of dark blue jeans.

No glasses.

Skin is fairly pale in the winter months. Dark brown hair.

Lothar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivar
This man speaks the truth. Collar-on-collar looks almost always look cluttered. Personally, I would pick a charcoal or mid-grey scoop-neck tee to go with your jacket.

Yeah, cluttered is a good word for it.

Scoop neck tee might not be a bad option. I have a couple different ones that are solid from Topman that could work that I haven't tried.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would wear a plaid flannel shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads