• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice to complement this outfit.

DCarreira

Reaction score
Good morning gentleman.

I have recently purchased a pants and vest combo but the store did not had the matching jacket to make it a 3 piece suit and I am thinking about what would be the best options to complete the look. This is a pic of me wearing it and a couple close-ups so you can see the pattern and material. It's a kind of flannel, not very formal and suitable for autumn/winter.

As a base layer it would go well with any white or dark shirt. Maybe with a denim shirt?

I am thinking I can wear both pieces separately pairing the vest with jeans or dark blue/grey chinos.

When using the combo a black/navy pea coat would be a good option, especially because I would just hang it when I get to the office. But what if I do want/need to use with a jacket? What would be a good jacket to complement this outfit?

Please share your thoughts on how to make the best out of this pieces. Thank you.
Sem Título.jpg
IMG_20201012_103331.jpg
IMG_20201012_103323.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only advice is to wear a jacket with it. The waistcoat without a jacket look is not a good one.

Overall, I’m not that crazy about the choice, but that’s not your question.

Given what you’re asking, the jacket is really the only option.

DCarreira

Reaction score
My only advice is to wear a jacket with it. The waistcoat without a jacket look is not a good one.

Overall, I’m not that crazy about the choice, but that’s not your question.

Given what you’re asking, the jacket is really the only option.

Thank you for the input. I do agree it would look better with a jacket. My first option will be one of the same fabric, maybe the store will still receive them, to make it a proper 3-piece suit. If not what colors or styles do you think would look good with this? I'm thinking maybe navy blue.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I’m not at all crazy about the fabric so it’s hard for me to say.
I think it would look odd, given the pattern of the slacks and vest matching, to throw on an odd jacket.

Verve

Reaction score
I can’t tell from your pics what exact colors it’s showing. If it’s a black, white, and grey small houndstooth (which makes it appear grey overall), SOLID grey, navy, & maybe khaki jackets should work. When you go to the store to try on various tones of solid jackets, your eyes will tell you if it pairs well with your vest and trousers. Have fun shopping!

pwbower

Reaction score
Sure, a matching jacket is best, but you could go for a RRL-inspired look and wear chambray shirt with a beat up denim or leather jacket over it. Since you won't be able to match, I'd go for high/low contrast.

In any case, I think that the trouser/vest combo alone can be appropriate in situations, like an office, where you might remove your jacket most of the day anyway because of the climate control. You'll still look put together with the vest.

DCarreira

Reaction score
I can’t tell from your pics what exact colors it’s showing. If it’s a black, white, and grey small houndstooth (which makes it appear grey overall), SOLID grey, navy, & maybe khaki jackets should work. When you go to the store to try on various tones of solid jackets, your eyes will tell you if it pairs well with your vest and trousers. Have fun shopping!

Thank you for the input.

It's a small lighter/darker grey houndstooth. I think this picture shows it a little bit better.

But yeah, it's best to try out a few option to see what works.

IMG_20201112_121324_2.jpg

DCarreira

Reaction score
I have already tried both as odd pieces and I reckon it looks fine. This is the vest with jeans and a leather jacket. I have also tried the trousers with a chambray shirt and another leather jacket on the same style.

IMG_20201112_121751_2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads