Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need Advice: Starting Shoe Collection

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ryan82885, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ryan82885

ryan82885 Member

I started a new job in NYC with a professional services firm this past December. I've come to realize I need a few pairs of good shoes for my wardrobe and have been doing some research but would like others opinions. I don't wear a suit often, I'm still a grunt and rarely see clients, so I mostly wear trousers and a button down shirt. My budget is flexible but I'm still young and living in NYC is anything but cheap. Here are the three shoes I was thinking of adding to start my collection with, rotating depending on what I wear.

Allen Edmonds - Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue (in Black Calf)

Allen Edmonds - Randolph (haven't decided on the color yet, open to suggestions)

Allen Edmonds - Vernon (in Saddle Brown Calf)

I'm not fiercely loyal to Allen Edmonds but I hear they great value and within the price range I'm comfortable spending. Any suggestions on other brands, or types of shoe I should be looking into?

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

There is a big world past AE. The park or fifth is a good choice in black. Its a classic and its robust.

I've never liked loafers, but i guess that one is fine.

For the brown ones, expand your horizons.

Why not try a pair of C&J Hallam slight 2nds from forum affiliate "a fine pair of shoes". They run about $330 shipped. Quality is better than AE and You'll be hooked.