1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on where to find a suit for SUPER skinny guy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Starving Student, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Starving Student

Starving Student Member

I tried looking through the old threads, but couldn't really find anything that applied to me. I am 5'7" and I weigh about 109 pounds. My waist is 28, but I am not sure about the top. Bottom line: it is hard for me to find clothes since I am so skinny, and it is even harder to find a suit. I know I will definitely need to go to a tailor, but where can I find suits that will require the least amount of alteration? As my username implies, I am a semi-poor college student, so I don't want to spend more than $500.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. hugeevilrobot

hugeevilrobot Well-Known Member

Your name sounds more literal than most here. I'd suggest either looking at some of the cheaper MTO companies (indochino, mytailor, etc), or perhaps see if you can find some boy's clothing from someone like brooks brothers. Not many options in the RTW category at that size, unfortunately.

3. KennethK

KennethK New Member

I have always found Topman sizes are very small. I am quite certain you will find something that fits you or at least require lesser alterations than other brands.
    Quality-wise they are not comparable to any tailor-made solutoins that is the first off-the-rack option I could think of.

4. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

Oh, no, no, no...stay away from the kids or young adults sections! The cut and proportions are usually very different than those of grown-up suits.

I would make sure you get measured very well (many sites offer helpful videos) and then go with Indochino or the Benjamin suits at eHaberdasher.

H&M has skinny suits. though the quality is meh. But it would meet your budget. Also, maybe Zara?

5. ZenStyle

ZenStyle Well-Known Member

For your budget, if you make sure you measure very accurately, exactly following the guidelines, I'd say Indochino could work out well for you.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Perhaps invest in food rather than suits :happy:

7. atila

atila Senior member

haha that's^ great.

If you're looking for more the $300 price range, Zara would be a step up from Express/H&M/etc.

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Just how skinny are we talking? What's your chest measurement? 36+ inches and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding stuff OTR, but any smaller than that and you pretty much have to get MTM (or bespoke). It is possible to find size 34 coats but they're incredibly rare and usually still don't fit as well as I would like.

9. essej

essej Well-Known Member

brooks brothers 36s fitz and milano. the store can tailor it to fit

10. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I don't know how small that is, but if its smaller than a 36/38, you might need to buy a 36/38 and have it downsized by a tailor. It's expensive to do, but might be your only option outside of MTM.

11. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

H&M or Zara, definitely. I'd say more to Zara. I just tried on some jackets and they're super slim, also short enough to work for you. Much too short to work for me (6'2"). Please stay away from online made to measure suits thouh. They're crap.

If you do buy from Zara or H&M just stay away from the crazy fabrics (shiny, etc) and you'll be fine.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011