• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice on the following suits

blue2007

Reaction score
While waiting for my TaT suit, I decided to get another suit from Nordstrom Rack and here is where my dilemma starts:

2 suits, one a Marc Jacobs and the second one a Hugo Boss The James/Sharp. Clearly, the Hugo Boss one is an inferior quality, as pointed out by many forum members also.

But, the Hugo Boss one costs $220 while Marc Jacobs one is $629 (down from original $1800). So I tired both suits on, the Hugo Boss one has double-vents while Marc Jacobs has one. I'm more of a double-vents guy, but I can live with one if cut and quality are good.

Can you please look at the photos below and tell me which one would you choose and also, if the Hugo Boss one fits well? The tailor said it's too short, but most of these HB suits are meant to be a bit shorter.

Thank you

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the shape of the MJ more though both are good overall. Something to consider is that the MJ suit has decorative buttons (not sure about the hugo), which makes sleeves alterations much easier to execute. Lemme know if they have MJ 46's there
lol8[1].gif
Will fund proxies
wink.gif

blue2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
I like the shape of the MJ more though both are good overall. Something to consider is that the MJ suit has decorative buttons (not sure about the hugo), which makes sleeves alterations much easier to execute.

Lemme know if they have MJ 46's there
lol8[1].gif
Will fund proxies
wink.gif

So do you think the HB fits well? Shoulders? Not too wide? Length in the back? The vents?

Only one MJ there
smile.gif
I looked for more...

so the question is if the MJ is worth $400 more...

jnm23q

Reaction score
If you look at the last pic you can see that there is some room in the shoulders, they look slightly 'hollow'

blue2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jnm23q
If you look at the last pic you can see that there is some room in the shoulders, they look slightly 'hollow'

so no-go based on that?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say get the Hugo Boss, save the $400 for something else, and don't tell the people here your decision.

blue2007

Reaction score
what if the difference in price would be $200? They will have a sale soon. Will it be worth it to pick up the MJ based on the photos?

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
The boss suit has to much shoulder padding. MJ looks better. Better shape, too.

Spend the 629.00 go to a good tailor and have a backup suit that looks nice in case your tat suit turns out poorly. You look like a young guy and your taste will change as you age. On the flipside a decent suit that fits you well is a good investment.

Might as well light your money on fire if you buy the boss.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Marc Jacob fits less poorly.

blue2007

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

As far as length...I'm 6"2 and I tend to get regular sizes since the long seems ...well, too long. The tailors at the store kept saying it's short and the old school thing that my palms need to be able to grab the bottom of the suit etc...for some reason, I think long and slim cut just don't go well together.

Looking at these photos, do these suits look short to you?

MrInvariant

Reaction score
I'm a beginner so take my opinion with a pinch of salt, but I'd say that the HB jacket is slightly too large for you (extra fabric at chest, etc.). It's difficult to judge the length from the pictures but going by the 'end of thumb' rule, the length of the MJ seems just about right. I personally like if the jacket just covers my butt or just a tad longer, and use this criteria rather than the 'end of thumb rule.'

The notch on MJ lapel is quite a bit lower than on the HB, but I think it works for you since you're quite tall.

Well, just one more person's opinion.
smile.gif

aphextwin07

Reaction score
from your pics i like the MJ one better, it looks like it fits much better. the shoulder fit looks off on the HB and just the proportions in general, too.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what size are you in the MJ? Surprised the jacket is that long, my 46's are about 29" top to bottom. The HB seems 'short' but not strangely so.

Ultimately, does the MJ feel $400 better? Something only you could answer really.

blue2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
what size are you in the MJ? Surprised the jacket is that long, my 46's are about 29" top to bottom. The HB seems 'short' but not strangely so.

Ultimately, does the MJ feel $400 better? Something only you could answer really.

the MJ is size 52 European, so that's 42 US. The HB is 44R.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads