Need advice on suit.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nickkLP, Jun 1, 2012.

1. nickkLP

nickkLP Member

Hello, I want to spend 300-400$ (cheaper if possible) on a suit ill wear for a few months and then I will change for a more expensive/quality one.

I had a few questions... I am new to the business world basically and I am 20 years old. I want a really "sharp" look and I noticed suits like this really stand out in a crowd that has alot of dressed people.

[​IMG]\

Would a slim suit like that look good on someone that is 6"2 155lbs. And I am a bit hunched forward to.

And where can I find such a look for my budget. Keep in mind that I am not keeping this suit for long... Maybe 3-4 months maximum. I will go for a fully custom made one with high quality material after that. I still want the suit to look like it's good quality... I don't mind if it breaks down after a few months.

I am from Drummondville, QC Canada.

I can go to Montreal or anywhere close to my place.. Maybe there is even a place closer then Montreal where I can go.. I need to buy a suit before next Saturday.

Thanks,

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. Deadeye_Dick

Deadeye_Dick Member

3. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Go with suit supply (Order online). You won't have time to get tailoring done, but it should be one of the best options for your budget.

4. nickkLP

nickkLP Member

Id rather go to a store if possible so I can get the tailoring done. I guess a whole week is enough for a tailor?

5. suited

suited Senior member

Do not buy a "custom made one with high quality material" for your second suit at 20 years old. You'll regret it. Wait until you refine your style, get a feel for what's out there and what you want, and more importantly, sift through a bunch of tailors before spending that kind of money.

6. nickkLP

nickkLP Member

Thanks for the advise will keep that in mind. How does a slim fitted suit (like in the OP) look on a 6"2 155 lbs guy?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  7. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

A whole week is likely just enough for getting pants hemmed. That would mean you need to purchase a suit this weekend. Good luck!

8. nickkLP

nickkLP Member

That's what I was planning on doing. So there is no way I can have my suit fully tailored by next Saturday if I purchase it let's say tomorrow?

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

What type of work are you doing? For most fields that I can think of where you need a suit, the dress is usually on the conservative side. A very slim-fitting suit might not work well, especially for someone looking for a job or just starting out at one.

Quote: What do you mean by "hunched forward"? You know the guy in the picture is just bending over a little; he isn't always like that.

You should refer to the Style Forum 101 section about an interview suit. If you get something like what is described there, you should be fine. Once/when you start working, look at what others are wearing. If you still like the look of that suit from the picture, and you think it would fit in at your workplace, then try looking for something similar.

The best way to look sharp and still maintain a conservative business-appropriate look is to have a good-fitting suit, worn with a well-coordinating tie and shirt. I recommend getting your suit tailored. Basic adjustments, like hemming the pants, sleeve length and letting the jacket in or out, can be done in a week, but you need to find a decent tailor. I wouldn't let the guy at the dry cleaning place do any more than hem the pants.

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

You can get the pants hemmed in an afternoon, though this is easier if you have an established relationship with a tailor.

11. nickkLP

nickkLP Member

I am actually running my own business so there is no dress code. Started it when I was 18 and it's doing really really well right now. I plan on leaving for a few business trips within the next month and I want to have a slim fitting suit like that one in the picture. I just have no idea where to find such a fit for my price range. The reason why I don't want to spend alot of money on a suit for now is because I want to find what fits me the best (I am guessing slim fit). I want to stand out as much as possible in a good way. The guys I see wearing slim fit suits look way sharper then the one with the classic fit. I just love the modern look..

And by hunched forward I mean this [​IMG] second image being the normal posture offcourse.

12. GBR

GBR Senior member

But will those you are meeting think this slim look will be good or will they dismiss you as an inexperienced youth not worth their time. Feeling good is one thing (but this is from a drawing board not reality in your case) but dressing appropriately for the circumstances should be your goal in a business context.

13. calcoast

calcoast Well-Known Member

Can somebody find that picture of that model with his suit clamped behind him, i feel its appropriate for this thread.

14. nickkLP

nickkLP Member

Most of the really successful and young people on my domain wear slim suits. It's mostly young people anyways (20-35 years old). So I think the new modern look is more appropriate then the old classic look. Isn't it where the fashion industry is right now anyways? Two buttons slim Euro-cut suits?

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

[​IMG]

a super slim fit suit is fine for a night out, but you'll want a more conservative look as a business owner, regardless of age.