• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advice on RLPL Suit Alteration

NYCESQ

Reaction score
I just purchased a beautiful RLPL 3-piece, "Custom Fit" model, navy chalkstripe flannel suit. The fit is almost perfect except for the high armholes, which are just slightly too narrow causing the upper part of the sleeves around my bicepts to be a bit too tight. I have never had an armhole alteration done before, so my question is whether it is possible to open up the armhole to give me more room, and what is the general price range for such an alteration in NYC?

wq1999

Reaction score
Armhole alterations are generally risky and complicated. I wouldn't recommend trying on such an expensive suit.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it is possible because for jackets that have working sleeves it is one of the ways to lengthen or shorten the jacket.

You need someone very , very good to do this. I had a Brooks GF jacket that got badly singed on the ends but it was a favorite of mine. Their tailors were able to do it for around 40.00 but it doesn't look exactly the same. I can't put my finger on what is different except that it is.

I am curious as to what these "custom fit" RLPL are , I have seen a lot of them recently. I am wondering if they are MTM that were not picked up or a new subline.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
I am curious as to what these "custom fit" RLPL are , I have seen a lot of them recently. I am wondering if they are MTM that were not picked up or a new subline.
I want to know more about this as well. It sound great. RLPL is still really loose in my opinion so I wonder if this is like a RLBL fit but higher quality.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My tailor in Hamilton NJ can do it if anyone can, she's done alot of work on shoulders with my jackets.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
This is coming closer to major surgery, and that's a scary proposition for such an expensive item.

RLPL are known for slim lines and super high armholes. It's why many men love them. My recommendation would be to return this item and purchase another in a style that's more to your liking.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had many suit jacket altered @ armholes, and they came out alright. Cardilino did them for me. However, if the sleeves are too narrow for your arms, then altering the armholes won't really help.

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
I've had many suit jacket altered @ armholes, and they came out alright. Cardilino did them for me. However, if the sleeves are too narrow for your arms, then altering the armholes won't really help.

+1 for Pedro @ Cardelino.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
custom garments usually have extra cloth inside that can be used to make the armhole a little bit wider [read horizontal]. if thats what you need.

ready to wear does not have this. but the armhole can be deepened [read vertical] usually about 1/2" at the most. if thats what you need.

NYCESQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
custom garments usually have extra cloth inside that can be used to make the armhole a little bit wider [read horizontal]. if thats what you need.

ready to wear does not have this. but the armhole can be deepened [read vertical] usually about 1/2" at the most. if thats what you need.

Thank you. I appreciate everybody's advice. Yesterday, I called the men's tailoring department at the Polo mansion. They told me that not only can it be done w/my particular suit, but that it was not an uncommon alteration for them, due to the high armholes of many of their suits & jackets.

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYCESQ
Thank you. I appreciate everybody's advice. Yesterday, I called the men's tailoring department at the Polo mansion. They told me that not only can it be done w/my particular suit, but that it was not an uncommon alteration for them, due to the high armholes of many of their suits & jackets.

Will the Polo Mansion tailor garments purchased at an outlet? I've always thought they had good, albeit expensive, tailors.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanB
Will the Polo Mansion tailor garments purchased at an outlet? I've always thought they had good, albeit expensive, tailors.

They'll do it, but you will pay a higher fee than if it were just purchased on sale from a main store.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanB
How do they know that it's from an outlet? Can't you just take the tag off if there is one from there? I was thinking of going there with my outlet suit because I want one of their coat hangers and garment bags and I'm neurotic like that.

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
How do they know that it's from an outlet? Can't you just take the tag off if there is one from there?

I was thinking of going there with my outlet suit because I want one of their coat hangers and garment bags and I'm neurotic like that.

They won't know it's from an outlet, but they also will know it's not from them (one usually gets a suit tailored when it's purchased). I'd also be a little afraid that my salesman there would be annoyed that I didn't buy it from him (despite the 80-90% markdown). (I guess I'm neurotic like that.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads