• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice on OCBD collar

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice here. Image attached below. I noticed that, when my shirt collar is unbuttoned, I have a pretty large gap between the collar and the back of my neck. When the shirt is buttoned, the gap seems to go away (mostly). The collar fits perfectly when buttoned - not too loose or tight. Is it typical to have a large gap like this when the shirt is unbuttoned or is this an issue with the slope/posture of the shirt? This is a made-to-measure OCBD from Luxire and I use the same template for my dress shirts. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 9.36.06 AM.png

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have the same issue with your non-OCBD shirts? I’d ask Luxire but I think they need to adjust your pattern a bit for your forward neck (relative to the shirt).

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, I'd ask Luxire about making an adjustment to your pattern -- send them these photos by email. My guess is that the thicker OCBD fabric makes the collar a little stiffer; it looks like the back of the OCBD collar stands a little more vertically than the dress shirt collar, which increases the gap.

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
yes, I'd ask Luxire about making an adjustment to your pattern -- send them these photos by email. My guess is that the thicker OCBD fabric makes the collar a little stiffer; it looks like the back of the OCBD collar stands a little more vertically than the dress shirt collar, which increases the gap.

So in your opinion, the gap is an issue and it's not unreasonable to shoot for no gap? I just want to make sure I am not being too picky here.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't get rid of your existing shirts because of that gap. I doubt anyone would really notice it. But with your next order, sure, you can shoot to reduce it a bit by asking for an adjustment for your neck posture.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with @breakaway01 , I’m sure it has something to do with the fabric.

Have the shirts been washed yet? That may make a difference as well. Either way, I don’t think it’s that egregious.

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
Have the shirts been washed yet? That may make a difference as well. Either way, I don’t think it’s that egregious.

Yes, they have been washed a few times. I think you're right - could be the fabric in addition to a slight tweak on the neck posture. I'm glad to hear that it doesn't seem too bad. Sometimes the pursuit of good fit can tickle the edge of neurosis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads