• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice on gifts for my brother, please help!

luxechic

Reaction score
My brother for Christmas has told me he wants some nice lowrise bootcut or flared jeans. Can anyone recommend a nice pair? He likes the ones at Express but since it is Christmas I thought I'd splurge on some designer for him but am clueless as to which brand fits guys well (he doesn't want them snug by any means, but not baggy either).

Second question: He also wanted some french cuffed shirts. Has anyone seen any nice ones for less than $100? I checked out Banana Republic online, there's one on there that he liked, but I'd love to get more ideas (he prefers thin-medium stripes). If anyone could direct me in the right direction that would be great =)

Oh, whoops, one last question- what's "in" for guys right now? I'm not really up to men's fashion so was just curious. Thank you.

Thanks.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You ask several broad questions, but I'll try to offer some suggestions. Â With respect to jeans, the oft-discussed brands tend to be Diesel, Seven, and PDC (Paper Denim & Cloth). Â I've only owned Diesel jeans myself and I find them to be of significantly higher quality than anything you'd find at Express. Â Of course, they cost more, too, but they were worth it. Â Perhaps some of the resident jean aficionados will chime in on this topic. As for french-cuffed shirts, I'm not familiar with the quality of BR's merchandise as I haven't purchased anything there in a long time. Â The usual recommendations for lower-priced, higher-quality shirts are: - If you have time, ebay. Â You can get high-quality shirts for very reasonable prices there. Â Several board members sell shirts there on a regular basis. - If you have less time, try mail order. Â Charles Tyrwhitt (http://www.ctshirts.co.uk) is often suggested as a reasonable quality shirt for the money. Â Also, some other board members have online stores. Â The one that comes immediately to mind is www.fourinhand.com. Â The shirts there will be of higher quality than either BR or Tyrwhitt. - If you must purchase from a store, I don't have a whole lot of good suggestions for you as I haven't purchased a shirt that way in years. As for what's "in" for men, that is really too broad of a question. Â Different tastes run from street grunge to Savile Row bespoke. Â There's just too much ground to cover there. Best of luck, dan

Sevcom

Reaction score
What does your brother prefer? Slimmer bootcuts or looser ones? Darker or lighter? And how much are you willing to spend?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
LA Guy will probably chime in w/a ton of local-specific denim brands that you might want to check out, but if you're just going to a regular department store, I'll suggest AG jeans, particularly the Fillmore cut, which is lowrise, bootcut, and not too slim in the thigh. I've tried my share of denim (not nearly as much as some of these guys, though), and AGs are my favorite.

What's in for guys right now? Well, you being a girl, if you see a guy on the street whose bones you want to jump (or even if you just think he dresses well), then that's what is in for guys.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For jeans, I'd agree with dah328 that the more popular brands are PDC, Seven, and Diesel, all of which I own. Diesel are very durable and a bit tighter. Sevens are tighter in the bootcut cuts, but have a limited assortment of washes, PDC have quite a bit of variety and are a bit softer, which means they can be a bit less durable. A few other brands to check out include AG, Earnest Sewn, and JP D'amage. I like JPD jeans quite a bit, they are soft but seem durable, and a very light denim so quite comfortable.

As for FC shirts, ebay is a good solution, or there are people usually selling shirts on here. BR shirts are decent for basics though, I have a couple pairs, but not sure about the quality of their FC shirts, the ones I have are basics or sport shirts. A good value on ebay would be Turnbull & Asser which I have been able to buy in new condition for $30-50 quite often on ebay.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I would second looking at Tyrwhitt for shirts. You'll get something different than the usual BR stuff (and I have no hostility to BR). Make sure you have his neck and sleeve measurements and look in their clearance section.

With "in" jeans I can't help you. LA Guy is bound to show up around here sooner or later...

luxechic

Reaction score
What does your brother prefer? Slimmer bootcuts or looser ones? Darker or lighter? And how much are you willing to spend?
Well he used to wear baggier jeans, but now is starting to wear them a tad more fitted (so looser bootcuts).  He's pretty short for a guy and relatively slim, I purchased a pair of Blue Cults for him @ Off Fifth in Woodbury commons (he's a 31) but he found them a bit tighter than he wanted in the thigh so I'm returning them (thus I asked for help here).  In terms of $$, I'm trying not to spend more than about $130 or so on a pair of good, nice jeans for him.  He'd never buy them for himself so it'd be a nice "treat" gift.  As for the wash, I'm assuming he'd prefer a medium to darker wash, as he'd be wearing them more for nights out.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like your brother like a pair of jeans with a more, rather than less, pronounced bootleg. Try: 1) Paper Denim & Cloth GTO 1-years, by far my favorite cut and wash. Dark, with some cool detailing, but not to much. They sit fairly low on the hips. They tend to run large, as do all Paper Denims. The flare is about 2.5 inches (between knee and hem.) 2) Seven Bootcut. If your brother is a skinny, sort of hipless guy, these are perfect for him. They are a little huiggher rise than PDC's, and go straight down from the hips, which means a looser waist and more snug fit on the thighs (I'm wearing a air now.) They tend to be pretty durable for premium denim (between 12-13 ounces, vs 10.5 for Paper Denims and pretty much anything else.) The NY Dark wash is the classic, and a relative steal for ~$130 in this day and age, when $150+ seems to be the norm. 3) AG Fillmore (as has been suggested). Not a favorite brand of mine, but the durable wash is pretty good. 4) Diesel Zathans. These fit more true to size than any of the American brands I've mentioned (i.e. they are tighter at a give n size) and have a nice cut. Plus, Diesel is super durable generally.) Diesel washes range between great to horrible. 5) J.P. Da'amage in the Ice wash, which is sort of dark/washed out. I'm not familiar with all their denim ranges, but some of the denim is pretty durable. 6) If you want something a little more "off the grid", try Carpe Denim (available at Kultic.com online, and you'll have to check their website for retail outlets.) The main deal is that the hem is cut with the front a little shorter than the back, so that jeans falls over a shoe "better". 7) I also like Yanuk jeans - the 6 pocket configuration is pretty nice. Goclothing has them on sale right now, and I think that the "SHOPETC" code for and extra 30% off. I think that Revolveclothing.com has a similar offer. 8) Kunna jeans, available online at www.blaec.com (mostly women, but some jeans for men too, are another viable option. 9) G Star, usually a brand I'm not a huge fan of, has some durable low-boot jeans in their fall collections. The bonus is that the cuts actually come in 30, 32, and 34 inseams, possibly saving a trip to the tailors. The jeans fit pretty true to size, and low on the hips. 10) Serfontaine, a favorite with women, also make some cool jeans for men. Not confident about their durability though. 11) Levi's Skinner from the Levi's Premium collection - cut (warning- not forgiving cut, by a size up), but the mileage of the different washes vary. I liked the coveted (resin) wash, if that is still available. 12) Rag and Bone. Great jeans, but you may have trouble finding it. I haven't seen it outside Rolo (SF), Atrium (NYC) and Louis Boston (Boston, duh.) 13) Tsubi - Australian company, great details. Again, haven't seen them around much. 14) T4Phage's favorite, Nudie. With the dollar the way it is though, these are going to cost you some major mullah. 15) If your brother is a clean wash type of guy, the Dark Denim Built by Wendy Wrangler 47 low boot cut (note, a very subtle bootcut, nearly a straightleg) will fit his style. Warning though - people either love or hate unwashed, untreated dark denim. Proceed with caution. 16) Brands which I do not personally endorse, but have cuts that might fit your criteria: Sacred Blue (boring),Blue Cult (super boring),. Chip and Pepper (oh, how I hate this brand, with the crap washes and mediocre denim,) True Religion (although I initially really liked their cuts, their increasing ubiquity and over use of distressing will make them this year's Von Dutch), Blue Guru, (a British brand, which brings nothing new to the table - typical) That should give you lots to choose from, I think. PM me if you need more choices...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
luxechic, just read your last post

I think that your best bet, in this case, is probably the Paper Denim LTD cut, which is bootcut, but still fairly relaxed aorund the the thighs, with a medium low rise.  I think that goclothing.com and blaec.com both have decent return policies (Revolve is terrific, but require really quick decisions), and both have coupons right now (SHOPETC for goclothing, and an onsite one for blaec.)  Personally, I like the blaec site/people more, and their regular prices are by far the best on the net (i.e. the other sites gouge you unless you have a coupon).  Also, the shipping is much more reasonable than the goclothing shipping. The 2-year, Dark Metro are both good washes, as is the Vision, if you think that he'll want something a little more out out there.)

Of course, I forgot to mention Earnest Sewn in my last post.  The Hutch Maz Dark is great, although I personally prefer the Paper Denim 1-year, still...

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you go with tyrwhitt shirts use this link: 50% off to new customers find out his neck and sleeve measurements then buy a shirt that is a half size smaller in the neck. tyrwhitt shirts are baggy and i doubt he'll be wearing a tie anyway. even if you choose the 'slim fit' shirts i recommend you go down a half size.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
It seems like your brother like a pair of jeans with a more, rather than less, pronounced bootleg. Â Try: 1) Paper Denim & Cloth GTO 1-years, by far my favorite cut and wash. Â Dark, with some cool detailing, but not to much. Â They sit fairly low on the hips. They tend to run large, as do all Paper Denims. Â The flare is about 2.5 inches (between knee and hem.) 2) Seven Bootcut. Â If your brother is a skinny, sort of hipless guy, these are perfect for him. Â They are a little huiggher rise than PDC's, and go straight down from the hips, which means a looser waist and more snug fit on the thighs (I'm wearing a air now.) Â They tend to be pretty durable for premium denim (between 12-13 ounces, vs 10.5 for Paper Denims and pretty much anything else.) Â The NY Dark wash is the classic, and a relative steal for ~$130 in this day and age, when $150+ seems to be the norm. 3) AG Fillmore (as has been suggested). Â Not a favorite brand of mine, but the durable wash is pretty good. 4) Diesel Zathans. Â These fit more true to size than any of the American brands I've mentioned (i.e. they are tighter at a give n size) and have a nice cut. Â Plus, Diesel is super durable generally.) Â Diesel washes range between great to horrible. 5) J.P. Da'amage in the Ice wash, which is sort of dark/washed out. Â I'm not familiar with all their denim ranges, but some of the denim is pretty durable. 6) If you want something a little more "off the grid", try Carpe Denim (available at Kultic.com online, and you'll have to check their website for retail outlets.) Â The main deal is that the hem is cut with the front a little shorter than the back, so that jeans falls over a shoe "better". 7) I also like Yanuk jeans - the 6 pocket configuration is pretty nice. Â Goclothing has them on sale right now, and I think that the "SHOPETC" code for and extra 30% off. Â I think that Revolveclothing.com has a similar offer. 8) Kunna jeans, available online at www.blaec.com (mostly women, but some jeans for men too, are another viable option. 9) G Star, usually a brand I'm not a huge fan of, has some durable low-boot jeans in their fall collections. Â The bonus is that the cuts actually come in 30, 32, and 34 inseams, possibly saving a trip to the tailors. Â The jeans fit pretty true to size, and low on the hips. 10) Serfontaine, a favorite with women, also make some cool jeans for men. Â Not confident about their durability though. 11) Levi's Skinner from the Levi's Premium collection - cut (warning- not forgiving cut, by a size up), but the mileage of the different washes vary. Â I liked the coveted (resin) wash, if that is still available. 12) Rag and Bone. Â Great jeans, but you may have trouble finding it. Â I haven't seen it outside Rolo (SF), Atrium (NYC) and Louis Boston (Boston, duh.) 13) Tsubi - Australian company, great details. Â Again, haven't seen them around much. 14) T4Phage's favorite, Nudie. Â With the dollar the way it is though, these are going to cost you some major mullah. 15) If your brother is a clean wash type of guy, the Dark Denim Built by Wendy Wrangler 47 low boot cut (note, a very subtle bootcut, nearly a straightleg) will fit his style. Â Warning though - people either love or hate unwashed, untreated dark denim. Â Proceed with caution. 16) Brands which I do not personally endorse, but have cuts that might fit your criteria: Sacred Blue (boring),Blue Cult (super boring),. Chip and Pepper (oh, how I hate this brand, with the crap washes and mediocre denim,) True Religion (although I initially really liked their cuts, their increasing ubiquity and over use of distressing will make them this year's Von Dutch), Blue Guru, (a British brand, which brings nothing new to the table - typical) That should give you lots to choose from, I think. Â PM me if you need more choices...
Ha. What'd we tell ya.

Sevcom

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an "old" topic, but:
16) Brands which I do not personally endorse, but have cuts that might fit your criteria ... True Religion (although I initially really liked their cuts, their increasing ubiquity and over use of distressing will make them this year's Von Dutch)
I thought the destroyed wash was bad enough, but this wash takes the cake for overdoing it to the extreme. PDC's Ripper has officially been replaced as worst denim wash of the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads