• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice on dressing better

burtle1

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wanting to start dressing better. I currently wear regular clothes. T-shirts, long sleeve shirts, polo's, cheap jeans etc..

I'd like to go for the jeans and blazer look.

I'm seeking suggestions on good comfortable brands for blazers, button up shirts, and jeans.

Do you guys get everything tailored? Do you only buy in person, or do you buy offline? What stores/websites do you tend to use?

Is there a website where I can see people wearing blazers/jeans?

Sorry, again, I'm brand new to all of this.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wanting to start dressing better. I currently wear regular clothes. T-shirts, long sleeve shirts, polo's, cheap jeans etc..

I'm seeking suggestions on good comfortable brands for blazers, button up shirts, and jeans.

Do you guys get everything tailored? Do you only buy in person, or do you buy offline? What stores/websites do you tend to use?

I'd say read through these two threads and then come back with any questions you have.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/sport-coats-and-jeans.558335/
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/waywrn-classic-menswear-casual-style.253842/

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Hello,

Let’s start with what your budget is for this wardrobe makeover.

JettStyle

Reaction score
Need to know a little bit more about your build, aesthetic and budget to be really helpful. What may be cheap to you may be expensive to someone else, and vice versa. I have some thoughts, but need some details to make sure they are helpful.

Would you be wearing the blazer/jeans professionally or on weekends?

Also, look around on these forums and Instagram for pictures that are the look you are going for. If you are already on Instagram, check out @thejettstyle. It is my account, it is pretty new, but it has some looks that might be what you are going for (although my atheistic is somewhat flashy)

burtle1

Reaction score

Let’s start with what your budget is for this wardrobe makeover.

Thank you

Need to know a little bit more about your build, aesthetic and budget to be really helpful. What may be cheap to you may be expensive to someone else, and vice versa. I have some thoughts, but need some details to make sure they are helpful.

Would you be wearing the blazer/jeans professionally or on weekends?

Also, look around on these forums and Instagram for pictures that are the look you are going for. If you are already on Instagram, check out @thejettstyle. It is my account, it is pretty new, but it has some looks that might be what you are going for (although my atheistic is somewhat flashy)

I'm 5'6" 170 pounds. Generally have a buzz cut and I'm about 18% body fat. Budget is around 400-500.00 per outfit.

I'd mainly be wearing the outfits on the weekends. Occasionally during the week. They would be for going out. Not for work.

JettStyle

Reaction score
Agree with everything said. Fit really is the most important thing. If you get fit right, you will already set yourself apart.

Cull your closet and see what you have and then can have tailored.

Next, start with a few quality piece that you will keep for a long time. I would go with one or two quality shoes and a quality blazer for your quality items. Since you are not looking for work clothes you can go with things that are more fun, like double monks or a loafer more on the casual side.

Not everything needs to be high quality. Your trendier items (that are going to go out of style) can be from stores like Zara. They won't last forever but they are not supposed to. I would stick to more afforable brands for trendier shoes (blue, grey or two tone).

For pretty good quality, with a modern fit and decent price point I like SuitSupply (which has its own thread here).

Make sure everything you buy gets tailored to fit. Look for inspiration on blogs, Insta and men's fashion youtube. You will make the style your own, but it helps to have some inspiration.

My style is a clean mix between bold modern looks and very classic clean professional clothes. (check my Instgram if you want). I keep things simple and use pops of colors. You will find your style as you go.

Most importantly enjoy the journey, there is no right and wrong.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Honestly I am sure there will be much more sophisticated suggestions for where you should go but I have had good success with the Blazer and Jeans look just shopping at Banana Republic and JCrew. The mall stores, not the outlet stores.

Banana Republic has decent jeans IMO for wearing with blazers. Decent fits for most, dark shades, and good sales.

JCrew for Blazers and Button Downs.

If you get a good deal on the Blazer you could probably get a pair of shoes at BR to go with each outfit for the top of the price range you are looking for.

burtle1

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the information

I'm going to follow the individuals you suggested on instagram and I'll get on pinterest

burtle1

Reaction score
Honestly I am sure there will be much more sophisticated suggestions for where you should go but I have had good success with the Blazer and Jeans look just shopping at Banana Republic and JCrew. The mall stores, not the outlet stores.

Banana Republic has decent jeans IMO for wearing with blazers. Decent fits for most, dark shades, and good sales.

JCrew for Blazers and Button Downs.

If you get a good deal on the Blazer you could probably get a pair of shoes at BR to go with each outfit for the top of the price range you are looking for.

I really like this idea!

I'm going to start browsing outfits online and then head into stores to try clothes on to figure out what feels best

The biggest thing I was wondering is if I could wear a suit jacket with jeans.

That has been answered though. Which is a no. I didn't understand at first, but now I do with what you guys are telling me.

JettStyle

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the information

I'm going to follow the individuals you suggested on instagram and I'll get on pinterest

This threat has been great. I have been thinking about the way I dress for years, just started my own Instagram account @thejettstyle, and have been particular about most things all my life and I found Pocket's post helpful for me also.

Always learning.

Thanks!

JettStyle

Reaction score
I really like this idea!

I'm going to start browsing outfits online and then head into stores to try clothes on to figure out what feels best

The biggest thing I was wondering is if I could wear a suit jacket with jeans.

That has been answered though. Which is a no. I didn't understand at first, but now I do with what you guys are telling me.

I know that others will disagree with me, but I think you can sometimes wear a suit jacket with jeans. But it is really hard, really depends on the cut of each, the texture and shine of the jacket and the overall look you are going for.

DSC_0576 (2).JPG

I don't think the answer is a flat no, but maybe "it is really hard to get right"

stylish_raven

Reaction score
I know that others will disagree with me, but I think you can sometimes wear a suit jacket with jeans. But it is really hard, really depends on the cut of each, the texture and shine of the jacket and the overall look you are going for.

View attachment 1012856

I don't think the answer is a flat no, but maybe "it is really hard to get right"
it has to fit nicely but usually its difficult to finde a nice combination of both

Alpha11

Reaction score
The suit jacket is more of a r

View attachment 1012856

Wearing the jacket with the trousers of a suit has more to do with a risk factor than a hard rule. Meaning if you wear the jacket more than the trousers that you run the risk of uneven wear to the color and pattern.

I have enough sport coats and blazer to buy have to run the risk. However, if your a limited the it is an option or an occasional run. You also run the risk of damaging the suit jacket and being out of a whole suit. Had you had a sport coat or blazer and it got damaged the you would only be out one item rather than two.

Additionally, sport coats and blazers can be made with heavier and more durable fabrics like tweed or cotton whereas suit tend to be on the delicate side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads