• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice on dress slacks.

BigMac

Reaction score
I am trying to choose between two pairs, but also need advice in general on slacks when it comes to colors, pleats and cuffs.

I am looking at a pair of light-gray, flat-front Dockers slacks with no cuffs, and also a pair of dark-gray, pleated Stafford slacks with cuffs.

Which pair would be preferable in terms of style, and when it comes to dress slacks, which side should I be on in the pleated/flat-front debate?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigMac
I am trying to choose between two pairs, but also need advice in general on slacks when it comes to colors, pleats and cuffs. I am looking at a pair of light-gray, flat-front Dockers slacks with no cuffs, and also a pair of dark-gray, pleated Stafford slacks with cuffs. Which pair would be preferable in terms of style, and when it comes to dress slacks, which side should I be on in the pleated/flat-front debate?
These don't sound like great quality slacks -- you would do better to look elsewhere. Do you need these pants urgently? What purpose will they serve? Work? Social occasions? What kind of work do you do? What is your existing wardrobe like, and how will they fit into it? What are your budget restrictions?

BigMac

Reaction score
Admittedly not the greatest quality. I don't have a pair in my wardrobe at the moment, and am currently on a bit of a budget. They would largely be for social occasions.

I could probably afford to wait, but when the time comes: pleats or flat-front?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
pleated or flat front is more according to your taste. there is no rule on what is more dressy or stylish.

ive seen pleated very stylish looking and also flat fronts look bad. flat front is a little more popular with the younger adult men.

i wear both. in business and casual.

why not get both? you need a choice of slacks anyways, those are nice solid colors to be had in your wardrobe.

cuffs or no cuffs are the same as above. more your taste but there is a proclivity to have cuffs for pants with pleats and no cuffs with pants that are flat front.

oh, and nothing against Quirk, but Dockers and such are perfectly fine. You dont need Attolini, Kiton, or Etro. just make sure you get them at a good discounted price.

BigMac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
there is a proclivity to have cuffs for pants with pleats and no cuffs with pants that are flat front.
Speaking of which, I own a pair of khakis with pleats but no cuffs (bought them a while back, before I discovered the forum
smile.gif
). So this is a fashion no-no, then?

My understanding is that cuffs help weigh down the pants a little so that the pleats don't look too baggy.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Admittedly not the greatest quality. I don't have a pair in my wardrobe at the moment, and am currently on a bit of a budget. They would largely be for social occasions. I could probably afford to wait, but when the time comes: pleats or flat-front?
Pleats are pretty standard and "safe". I'd say if you don't have a particularly strong sense of your own personal style yet, I think that pleats would be the safest bet. If not carried off well, plain fronts can look really terrible, especially with lesser-quality grey dress slacks. Think "security guard".

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Speaking of which, I own a pair of khakis with pleats but no cuffs (bought them a while back, before I discovered the forum
smile.gif
). So this is a fashion no-no, then?

My understanding is that cuffs help weigh down the pants a little so that the pleats don't look too baggy.

ive heard that often as well that cuffs weigh down the pants, but the extra bit of fabric is negligible in weight to actually feel any weighing down.

the understanding i have is, pleats add extra clothing goings-on up there. a nice cuff on the bottom evens out the look. without cuffs a pleated pant looks too top heavy in my opinion.

vice versa, a flat front has minimal action going on top, so a cuffling would make the look imbalanced. a nice straight profile is what i would prefer on the pants.

but it is not set in a rule or anything. you can still make a pleated pants with no cuffs look good.
there is nothing wrong with that, just preferences.

also, pleated pants that are single pleated or double are fine in my opinion. i have both. triple-pleated i will reserve for upon retirement from my career.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, and nothing against Quirk, but Dockers and such are perfectly fine. You dont need Attolini, Kiton, or Etro. just make sure you get them at a good discounted price.
No offense taken. I just thought I remembered Dockers dress slacks as being wool/synthetic blends. Actually most of the chinos I've seen are blends also, though I have seen some 100% cotton. Do they carry 100% wool slacks?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i dont think dockers make any premium type pants with 100% wool, i havent seen any but not sure.
i have found that certain blends are comfortable and clean wearing and dockers and kirkland (from costco) are some brands i would not mind wearing for work environments that are not always office.

as long as you can get a good price on these. check out macys and ross. macys usually have alot of nested discounts and clearance upon clearance.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
vice versa, a flat front has minimal action going on top, so a cuffling would make the look imbalanced. a nice straight profile is what i would prefer on the pants.
Flat fronts with cuffs look excellent if you ask me. Pleats and cuffs both bulk up visually, so either/or may be good if you're thin.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont think dockers make any premium type pants with 100% wool, i havent seen any but not sure. i have found that certain blends are comfortable and clean wearing and dockers and kirkland (from costco) are some brands i would not mind wearing for work environments that are not always office. as long as you can get a good price on these. check out macys and ross. macys usually have alot of nested discounts and clearance upon clearance.
What's the wool/synthetic ratio? I've seen some blended slacks, shirts, etc. that have a very pleasant feel, but in my experience, after a bit of wear, their impurity always betrays them and they end up looking and/or feeling like crap. I might take a gamble with 5% synthetic. Maybe. More than that is asking for trouble, IMO.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
meaning the dockers and/or kirkland?

i am not too sure.

i agree with you there on blends becoming worn out after a few months of wear.
i leave those trousers for my work which many times im in the trenches all by myself.

the 100% wool ones i wear to church and better occasions.

you may want to check out Macys as well. they have a vast selection of semi-well known brand names that are some 100% wool at low clearance prices. depends on the macys though, however the south coast one is the best ive seen.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about wool pants, charcoal gray is a good starter color, more versatile than light gray.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics