• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advice on Dress Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatmiser

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have lost considerable weight over the past six months during which I decided to start dressing nicer and taking pride in the clothes I wear. I have purchased quite a few shoes over the weight loss journey (mainly brown tones and a few black shoes) and am now looking to purchase 3 suits and 4 pairs of dress pants now that I have reached my target weight. I am a professional salesperson in sunny Southern California and mainly wear dress pants with/without sport coats for work but occasionally will wear a suit to special meetings. The sport coats I have recently purchased are brown and blue shades.

I am working with a custom tailor to make the suits and pants for me and the materials/colors they have readily available at reasonable prices are located below. I have already decided on my 3 suits (charcoal, medium grey and navy blue) so I am good in that department. Next up are the dress slacks. Which materials/colors would you choose for a staple set of (4) dress pants?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score
1,4,A and B, because lighter is typically better when pairing with a sport coat. You've got the right idea with tans and greys.

IChen

Reaction score
1, 4, A. Maybe 3 if you have jackets that can make it work.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Heatmiser , they're all nice. The only one I'm not crazy about is 3. I would probably go A, B, 1, 2....in that order.

Heatmiser

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice all. I was thinking 1, 4, A & B as well. However, I was thinking 1 & 4 may be to similar of a shade and instead go with one or the other and then #5. Thoughts?

Spex

Reaction score
Now that I'm looking at these again I agree that 5 would be a good choice to replace one of those 2 similar tan ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads