• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice on a good second pair of Allen Edmonds dress shoes

Saltricks

Reaction score
Hi SF, I'm a long time lurker first time poster.

Let's get down to business. I just finished college and have successfully purged my closet of most of the clothes I wore in college (a whole lot of tshirts and cargo shorts). I picked up a lighter gray suit, a navy blazer, a nice medium brown sport coat with nice windowpane pattern and a couple of slacks (khaki, black, and gray). I also picked up a pair of black allen edmonds cliftons, which I love.

My question is: what color/style would you recommend for a second pair of shoes? I would love another pair of allen edmonds and was looking at the walnut colored these:

here

What do you think? Is this a good color/style for a second pair of shoes? I work in a very lax business casual environment but I meet a lot of doctors in my line of work who have a pretty sharp eye when it comes to fashion. If you've ever been "judged" by a doctor, you know the kind of insecurity that they can incite (this is what I want to avoid!).

Thanks for all the help!

tshaw

Reaction score
My question is: what color/style would you recommend for a second pair of shoes? I would love another pair of allen edmonds and was looking at the walnut colored these:

here

Go for it!
smile.gif

T

vincerich

Reaction score
The Strand is a nice shoe. I'm planning on adding it to my collection in the future. If your job is really as casual as you say, then there's nothing wrong with walnut. You'll probably get a lot of compliments on the shoes. However, if you want something that's a little more professional and business-like, I'd buy my next pair of shoes in burgundy. I think that burgundy is a more diverse color because it can fit with the most conservative suit and a very casual summer outfit. Walnut is great for the latter, but it doesn't always translate well into conservative environments.

wysiwyg

Reaction score
Walnut is a more casual color and pairs better with lighter-colored pants. They look great with a light to medium gray.

factorial

Reaction score
I'd probably get a blucher instead of an oxford as it has "open" instead of "closed" lacing that looks better when worn with casual pants such as jeans.

I also agree that you may want to look at burgundy or a darker brown before a lighter brown, as it's easier to pair with darker pants.

That said, the Strand isn't a bad shoe nor is the walnut color an inappropriate color for dress shoes, just not what I would pick out for a second pair.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
I'd probably get a blucher instead of an oxford as it has "open" instead of "closed" lacing that looks better when worn with casual pants such as jeans.

I also agree that you may want to look at burgundy or a darker brown before a lighter brown, as it's easier to pair with darker pants.

That said, the Strand isn't a bad shoe nor is the walnut color an inappropriate color for dress shoes, just not what I would pick out for a second pair.

Open vs. closed lacing? Can you elaborate with a picture perhaps?

Saltricks

Reaction score
I'm actually leaning towards the burgundy now that I looked at some of the other available shoes.

Is merlot pretty much the same as burgundy? They look almost identical, but some styles are only in either merlot or burgundy ( I want to avoid the cordovan because of a much higher price tag).

I'm partial to these

What do you think? I think I prefer open lacing as opposed to the derby style shoe. I'm not stuck on allen-edmonds either. If there is a nice looking alternative under 350 I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks for the advice so far, I feel like I am learning things just from your suggestions.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Obviously only you can judge what's best for your work environment. The Strand in walnut sounds like a very good addition based on the wardrobe you've already assembled. The Park Ave is AE's longtime flagship shoe, somewhat more formal than the Strand but in merlot still a good fit with the clothes you list, as well.

Derby (British) = Blucher (US) = open lacing
Oxford (British) = Balmoral (US) = closed lacing

The Strand and the Park Ave both have closed lacing.

wysiwyg

Reaction score
The Park Avenue is a timeless classic, but you may want to diversify into something other than a captoe since you already have the Cliftons. If you like broguing and want to try something different, consider the Loake Savoy, a British wingtip. You can have them for around $220 from Herringshoes or Pediwear.
loake-savoy-mohogany-shoes-3.jpg

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like walnut alot but as a third or fourth shoe color. I think after the necessary liability of a black shoe, a dark brown or merlot would match a professional wardrobe in a more versatile sense.

If you can score a walnut shoe in the AE sale for less than $150, then go for it. Otherwise, consider merlot/ burgundy or dark brown in a brogue or semi-brogue design.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads