• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advice: Minimalistic Style

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally wear blue jeans, black v neck sweater or black v t shirt, and chucks/vans/Creative Recreation shoes. I know it isn't "stlyish" at all but I need to wear black tops for my work. I generally don't really like colors (mostly because I can't coordinate it very well). My concern is that I'm getting older and I'm starting to get bored of my Chucks/Vans/Creative Recreations. I like to wear sneakers and casual shoes because they are comfortable, but I'm looking for something a bit more mature, if that even makes sense.

1. What kinds of shoes are there for a more mature crowd? My higher ups would prefer me to wear dress shoes, but I'm allowed to wear sneakers. Are there any good compromises?
2. As well, are there alternatives to jeans? (I have a few pairs of black and grey pants but when I wear all black, it looks "uniform"y)

Basically, I want to keep my clothing simple so that my eyewear is the most dominant piece of my outfit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're in luck-- almost everyone in SW&D is into minimalism. Just browse the waywt thread, the footwear threads, etc.

Sean9

Reaction score
You can wear all black everything pretty easily. Sounds like you could use a nice pair of oxford shoes and some trousers. I would check out Jil Sander's runway shoes if you want to keep it minimal but smarten up your style. Of course you don't have to buy all the pieces it just gives you a nice goal to shoot for.

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Black chelsea boots, like RM Williams'.

b9w4

Reaction score
One of my favorite outfits is a black bottom-down collar oxford shirt that I got for American Apparel, some really light sand Levi's 501's, and either black or grey Sperry Top Siders.
If the man wants you to wear dress shoes, throw him a curveball and get some black wingtips from Cole Haan in either leather or suede. They've got nike soles so they feel just like your favorite pair of sneakers.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Just step up your sneaker game a little. Go with leather sneaks like GATs, CP's etc. and for canvas/beater options chose USA made Vans or a lesser known brand that sells a clean/simple shoe. Good fitting chinos will replace denim nicely.

IMO someone who wears just the basic tee/denim/sneakers but wears them properly (ideal fit for body type etc.) is pretty damn stylish compared to most of the clowns out there.

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of sound advice. I just don't think that I'm ready to stray off sneakers yet. I have a few pairs of leather Jack Purcells as well but going to MMM GATs would definitely be a step up. Are there any alternatives or other brands similar to MMM GAT?

As well, maybe I should be looking into Khankis too. I am looking to smarten up my look but my "regular" is just so comfy. I just find that I look exactly the same most days. Different cuts and fits, but similar.

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lots of sound advice. I just don't think that I'm ready to stray off sneakers yet. I have a few pairs of leather Jack Purcells as well but going to MMM GATs would definitely be a step up. Are there any alternatives or other brands similar to MMM GAT?
As well, maybe I should be looking into Khankis too. I am looking to smarten up my look but my "regular" is just so comfy. I just find that I look exactly the same most days. Different cuts and fits, but similar.

I just saw that Adidas Resplits were a similar style but I want minimal branding.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want high-end, check out the sneakers from Common Projects, Buttero, Lanvin or Generic Man.

A simple plain toe derby (black or brown) is an easy shoe to wear and would give you a bit of variety.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could also consider something like this

red-wing-shoes-9043-classic-beckman-oxford-black-.jpg

http://www.redwingamsterdam.com/red-wing-shoes-9043-classic-beckman-oxford-black

Superfluous Man

Reaction score

You can proxy the real deal from Germany for like $80, even less if you lurk eBay Germany. Most people swap out the stock laces for thicker ones that look more like the MMM laces. In my experience the MMM's are more comfortable and look better with wear than the OG version but either is fine.

Another brand to consider is Twins For Peace. They sell a leather sneaker that's hard to find but looks really good. Definitely CP inspired: http://us.asos.com/Twins-For-Peace-...GVhY2UtTGVhdGhlci1EZXJieS1UcmFpbmVycy9Qcm9kLw..

I don't think Lanvin would suit your style, especially their latest offerings. They are releasing a lot of chunky, early 2000's skater-esque shoes that your employer and yourself probably wouldn't approve of.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can proxy the real deal from Germany for like $80, even less if you lurk eBay Germany. Most people swap out the stock laces for thicker ones that look more like the MMM laces. In my experience the MMM's are more comfortable and look better with wear than the OG version but either is fine.
Another brand to consider is Twins For Peace. They sell a leather sneaker that's hard to find but looks really good. Definitely CP inspired: http://us.asos.com/Twins-For-Peace-...GVhY2UtTGVhdGhlci1EZXJieS1UcmFpbmVycy9Qcm9kLw..
I don't think Lanvin would suit your style, especially their latest offerings. They are releasing a lot of chunky, early 2000's skater-esque shoes that your employer and yourself probably wouldn't approve of.

I'm liking those Twins for Peace, but they don't seem to have Canadian stockists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics