• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice..looking for a suit (interview)

pk7

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new poster here.. so sorry if this question is a common one..

I am looking for my first suit- for a job interview... and one that I can keep in the long run.

I was just wondering where I should start.. i know places like Macys has suits, but would suits there be considered on the low-end, cheap side of suitting? Or should I go to somehwere like Men's Wearhouse?

I'm looking ot spend less than $400-500. WIth this being said, are there specific brands that I should be looking for?

THanks for the help!

Nicesuit

Reaction score
I just asked this question, it's that time of the year. Navy, greys, or black for the interview. If you're an average sized guy I would take my money and purchase a suit off of ebay and get something nice. You can find Oxxford, Isaia, Zegna, and some Brioni on there for what you'd pay for a decent fused suit anywhere else. Just clean press and away you go. You'll look far better in a good suit and all the better to set yourself apart. This is of course my opinion only but I feel it's sound under our circumstances. Check Jantzen for shirts if you've got time to get one made. I'll definately be using them myself. http://www.jantzentailor.com/price.htm Any other opinions?

oldseed

Reaction score
macy's suits are fine. you should be able to get a decent suit for $200. just make sure the chest measurement is right, then go from there. if you wanna learn more, then go to saks/neimans and try on the super expensive suits for comparison. you'll discover the shape/cut you like. if you know you like a certain brand name/etc., then go ebay. otherwise just buy what you wear and like.

no black for interview. solid charcoal and navy only. strictly.

seed

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Search for 'interview suit' on this forum and you'll find a ton of info. Feel free to post if you still have questions.

pk7

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone.

Just one more question.. I did a search on this but couldn't really get a solid asnwer for it...

I'm around 5'8, 150 pounds.. and being that this will be my first suit, would a pinstripe navy or charcoal suit be ok? I'm a pretty lean individual and I heard that pinstripes will make me look a little taller but skinnier..

I kinda like the look of pinstripes and sort of want to "stand out" with it during my interviews

Let me knwo what you think! Thanks again

plazdiddy

Reaction score
if this is your first and only suit, id stick with the charcoal only because it doesnt look so obvious when you wear it again. a smart looking pinstriped suit stands out well, but that kinda works against you on your second/third/final interview. you might want to consider a navy blue single breasted suit also. very professional looking and easy to match.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads