• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advice: How to fix peeling leather of my new gustin sneakers

GryphusKueh

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've had this new pair of gustin white low tops for around a month, and it has started peeling off near the heel.

I've conditioned it before I wore it but, it peeled nonetheless. It's disappointing really, with all the promise of "Italian made" white sneakers.

Before this I used to wear a pair of GEOX white sneakers I bought on sale for 100SGD (70USD), it's still in great condition considering I wore it everyday.

Regardless, I would like to know if anyone knows how to minimize these peelings, and if there is a way to save this pair of shoes. Or would it be impossible to restore it back?

Here are the pictures:

My main concern is for the first picture with excessive peeling, as you can really notice it from a distance.

I may write a review of these shoes, and gustin in general if time permits. Till then I just hope there's a possibility to save these shoes I had such high hopes of.

Spex

Reaction score
I thought Gustin used full grain leather for their shoes. If this is true, then should something like this even occur?

GryphusKueh

Reaction score

I thought Gustin used full grain leather for their shoes. If this is true, then should something like this even occur?

I'm not sure. Up close it does seem like there's a layer of white "skin", not one whole piece? Whatever it is it's bad Hahaha.

Medoc

Reaction score
They look dirty and beat to hell for 1 month of wear? Are you using them as skate shoes or something? My #8 low tops are holding up fine for 4 months now with just minimal creases. I don't wear them daily or for sports though.

GryphusKueh

Reaction score

They look dirty and beat to hell for 1 month of wear?  Are you using them as skate shoes or something?  My #8 low tops are holding up fine for 4 months now with just minimal creases.  I don't wear them daily or for sports though. 

I wear them almost 5-6 days a week, for anywhere I'm not at home? Yeah I guess it's a lot of wear, but regardless I've put my Jcrew Boots and GEOX sneakers through such wear before and they're still in amazing shape.

My main issue i still don't understand why the leather would peel after only a month of wear, even with conditioning and care.

sartbaeklv

Reaction score
Not sure if that's corrected grain but the leather on those look terrible. Did they just start peeling off naturally? I beat the hell out of my Achilles and even had them get nicks and cuts but the leather never began peeling like that... Gustin must be using a low grade leather in that case.

Best to contact them and see how they respond because no matter what happened the leather should not be peeling like that regardless of wear. Damn shame too. I had high hopes for their sneaker.

ursman

Reaction score
Upsetting to see that the leather quality is this low.

Let's give Gustin a shot at making this right. I'm very interested in how this turns out as I just purchased I pair of whites for myself.

Soal

Reaction score
I am also interested in the Gustin Low. Can someone kindly let me know how the sizing works. I also emailed Gustin but wanted an opinion from someone who was a consumer. I wear 10.5 or 11 in "regular" shoes. Based on their website recommendation a size 10 is what I should order. Can anyone else here confirm how their lows fit? Thank you in advance.

GryphusKueh

Reaction score
Update: I contacted Gustin about the product, and they offered me a full refund or a replacement of one of their brown high sneakers. I chose the refund.

I did not expect it though, given there are so many bad things being said about the customer service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads