• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice from style gurus, Going to a party and want to stand out.

The Funeral

Reaction score
Hello,

I was invited to this party next weekend and the theme is guys must go in business attire and the Ladies will be strippers. Now I want to go in a suit but not the typical black with black slacks white shirt and tie. I want to add some style and pazzzzas! Don't want to look like a pimp in a green suit but want to look classy but stand out from the other dudes. I need help, pics would be sweet. I pretty thin with a slight built so I think I can pull it off. HELP!

Ps. I would love to find some vintage style clothing, would that work for this party? All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Eccentric

Reaction score
First, deciding against a black suit is a step in the right direction.
Second, the best way to stand out is to be well dressed. This being a social occasion gives you a little more room than a true business meeting. If I were in your place, I would be sporting a pocket square in a color other than white, but this is preference. If you want examples of how to dress nicely, just check (with caution) the WAYWT thread.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Try the Mob Boss and the stripper dame look - DB with large stripes "Zoot", spats, large brim fedora... add the spice ... If asked what kind of business is, you say "Murder Inc."

The Funeral

Reaction score
just check (with caution) the WAYWT thread.

Where do I see that^^^^^^

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by koolhistorian
Try the Mob Boss and the stripper dame look - DB with large stripes "Zoot", spats, large brim fedora... add the spice ... If asked what kind of business is, you say "Murder Inc."

I suggest strongly against this.

nickG

Reaction score
it sounds like a college party and most of the guys will show up in black pants and some ill fitting button down shirt and tie.

show up in a suit that fits well and youll be miles ahead of everyone else. if the girls will notice, who knows because college girls have no idea what a well dressed man looks but girls are a whole other issue altogether.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
I suggest strongly against this.

If the girls are strippers... do regular sartorial standards still apply?

If you want to stand out at the party, wear a suit with a bold pinstripe or with a suit made with mohair or silk for some lustre in a deep blue or mid-gray. Ozwald Boateng does these types of suits very well (check out his website for pics.)

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Funeral
just check (with caution) the WAYWT thread. Where do I see that^^^^^^
WAYWT = what are you wearing today thread. It is in the sticky section of the men's clothing section near the top. EDIT: It is titled "what are you wearing right now" actually.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As soon as he said that girls will be going as strippers, all proper sartorial advice goes out the window. I think the business theme should not be taken literally, take it as if it was a costume.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
As soon as he said that girls will be going as strippers, all proper sartorial advice goes out the window. I think the business theme should not be taken literally, take it as if it was a costume.

+1

This is not going to the strip club. The strip club comes to you.

Stay home and read SF (or a book). This is nothing for a stylish gentleman!

samurai

Reaction score
I would wear the black suit, as long is it has style and is not a dork bus. suit. Wear a wild shirt, perhaps orange or deep purple, in solid, a conservative but amazing tie and solid pocket square. Shoes and belt either black or very dark brown, preferably croc. But that's just me. Cheers.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy solid, two-button, SB, side-vent, well tailored. White, point-collar, button cuff shirt with military starch. Maroon solid tie with four-in-hand knot. Black captoe bal oxfords, highly polished, with leather soles and heels. Navy socks. Black leather belt with NO fancy details. White linen PS, TV fold. Linen hankie inside breast pocket should a lady get a mote in her eye. Good-sized cotton hankie back pants pocket in case you need a tourniquet, Shower, shave, manicure. Light cologne OK. No booze or dope 24-hours before H-Hour. No breakfast (very bad to eat before surgery). And enjoy yourself!

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
1) Don't shave (your facial hair).
2) wear a nice fitting suit, color is irrelevant but black would def work well.
3) white pocket square
4) white shirt and no tie or a flashy one
5) sleek black shoes or even better boots, especially heeled ones.
6) You got jewellery? Wear it.

I'm the only person who post here who has been to a party in the last ten years so you better listen to me.
devil.gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
1) Don't shave (your facial hair)...
Better skip the shower, too, in that case...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads