• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice for tailored wear

ibbik2010

Reaction score
Respected Seniors,

I am average guy who weighs about 63-65 Kgs, broad shoulders, height is about 5.8 feet. I need help for my tailored suits.

I have three fabrics;
1. Wool Checkered Suit fabric [[Width 1.54 meters (61 inches)], [Length 2.916 meters (114.8 inches)]]
2. Trevira+Wool Pin Stipe Suit fabric [[Width 1.574 meters (62 inches)], [Length 2.74 meters (108 inches)]]
3. Heavy-Wool fabric for Overcoat [[Width 1.41 meters (55.75 inches)], [Length 3.029 meters (119.25 inches)]]

I would like to use them. What could be made with them?
Would these possible;
Fabric#1 2 piece suit with back lined vest
Fabric#2 2 piece suit
Fabric#3 1 Overcoat Knee-High
Or any other idea what could be made?

Please help me make the decision.

Thanking You All in Advance.

P.S. I know it depends on the tailor, how much he waste, but I need just an idea.

ibbik2010

Reaction score
I have asked a tailor by showing him these fabrics. He told me that with Fabric#1 he could make 2 Pc, with Fabric#2 he could make a jacket and a vest and with Fabric#3 he could make an overcoat.

Still, I would like to confirm with the gentlemen here.

FlowableFill

Reaction score
My tailor quoted me 2.5 m for a plain jacket, 2.75 m for a checked jacket and 4 m for a double breasted suit. I'm not sure about a single breasted suit though. I'm more or less you're build.

ibbik2010

Reaction score
My tailor quoted me 2.5 m for a plain jacket, 2.75 m for a checked jacket and 4 m for a double breasted suit. I'm not sure about a single breasted suit though. I'm more or less you're build.
Thank you for your kind reply. The "jackets" that you mentioned are without any pants? My tailors quote 2M for a jacket!

FlowableFill

Reaction score
Yes, that's just for the jacket without the trousers. My tailor usually sources fabric himself but I've been looking into some alternative fabric sources and only asked about sport coats and a double breasted suit.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The usual recommendation is:

Two-piece suit: 4 meters
Sport coat: 2.5 meters
Trousers: 1.5 meters

This is for normal-width fabric (59 inches wide).

I occasionally sell fabric and have noticed that people in East Asia commonly only take 2 meters for a sport coat. One customer even insisted that his tailor can squeeze a whole sport coat out of 1.5m. Much depends on your build, tailor, and fabric, so it's always best to check with your tailor.

Last edited:

ibbik2010

Reaction score
The usual recommendation is:

Two-piece suit: 4 meters
Sport coat: 2.5 meters
Trousers: 1.5 meters

This is for normal-width fabric (59 inches wide).

I occasionally sell fabric and have noticed that people in East Asia commonly only take 2 meters for a sport coat. One customer even insisted that his tailor can squeeze a whole sport coat out of 1.5m. Much depends on your build, tailor, and fabric, so it's always best to check with your tailor.
That's exactly what's bothering me as well. Here the tailors could make a suit in very less fabric compared to western countries. I still don't get it how it's possible.
Thankfully to your kind advice, I should consult with my tailor, because at the end of the day, he would be making my suit, with 4 meters or with 2, it's his call.

Just one more thing, Could a pinstripe overcoat be worn with a plain or checked two-piece?

Thank you :)

ibbik2010

Reaction score
I don't think a pinstriped overcoat is a good idea, regardless of what you wear underneath it.
:'( Sad.
What could I do with this 2.7-meter fabric then?
I have only these options;
a. Jacket+Vest (But what to wear on pants)
b. Jacket (I read pinstriped jackets should not be worn over anything other than the same fabric)
c. Overcoat (Which seems odd)

*sigh*

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
:'( Sad.
What could I do with this 2.7-meter fabric then?
I have only these options;
a. Jacket+Vest (But what to wear on pants)
b. Jacket (I read pinstriped jackets should not be worn over anything other than the same fabric)
c. Overcoat (Which seems odd)

*sigh*

I don't think you can do anything with 2.7m of pinstriped fabric. Sorry to say.

If you are new to bespoke, it's always best to get fabric through your tailor. Let them guide you on what fabrics are suitable for what purpose. Start with how and when you will wear the garment -- is this for spring/ summer or fall/winter? Is it for business or pleasure? Do you want something formal or casual? So on and so forth. If you start with this purpose in mind, a tailor can guide you through their fabric books and recommend selections.

On the other hand, if you are new to bespoke, and classic clothing in general, and you buy random fabric that you find on a discount, and give them to a tailor (often a low-end, cheap tailor), you will likely wind up with nonsensical garments that don't look good.

It is very easy and often even likely to wind up with ugly bespoke garments, even when you go through a Savile Row tailor. Better to have one beautiful bespoke garment that costs you a little more money than three ugly garments made from random fabrics you found at discount and gave to a bad tailor.

ibbik2010

Reaction score
I don't think you can do anything with 2.7m of pinstriped fabric. Sorry to say.

If you are new to bespoke, it's always best to get fabric through your tailor. Let them guide you on what fabrics are suitable for what purpose. Start with how and when you will wear the garment -- is this for spring/ summer or fall/winter? Is it for business or pleasure? Do you want something formal or casual? So on and so forth. If you start with this purpose in mind, a tailor can guide you through their fabric books and recommend selections.

On the other hand, if you are new to bespoke, and classic clothing in general, and you buy random fabric that you find on a discount, and give them to a tailor (often a low-end, cheap tailor), you will likely wind up with nonsensical garments that don't look good.

It is very easy and often even likely to wind up with ugly bespoke garments, even when you go through a Savile Row tailor. Better to have one beautiful bespoke garment that costs you a little more money than three ugly garments made from random fabrics you found at discount and gave to a bad tailor.
Beautifully said. Thank you, sir, I have learned a lot from you.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if you need more cloth, is it available to you?

you have enough cloth for the top coat.

Doesnt seem like enough cloth cloth for the suits

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads