• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need advice for navy pinstripe suit

Penciltester

Reaction score
Ok I need some help with color advice and pattern advice

I am color blind so I don't have a good color sense. Some colors such as green and gray sometimes look the same to me. Same with blues-purples and reds-browns.

Anyway, I purchased a navy pinstripe for a really good deal. I was wondering what color of shoes to wear with it and what color of tie. Should I stay away from patterns on the tie? Should it just be solid?

I was looking at these patterns. For instance.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens...quares+Tie.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens...aisley+Tie.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens...triped+Tie.jsp

Yeah, I am on a budget and any advice would be great.

Oh yeah what color of hat would go with it? I have a brown fedora but I even know they don't go together.

Thanks

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll address to the degree I can:

Hats- Dark browns and any shade of gray would be fine.
Shoes- typical/conservative would be black or dark brown or burgundy/cordovan.
My personal preference in order is dk brown, chili, black, tan (and the myriad near variations)

As far as ties, I might suggest you go somewhere with a helpful salesperson and explain your issue. You can do many things against navy but many of the ties you suggested didn't look good IMO, unless you leaned towards red, for example on on of those. But navy is not unlike gray, you can match many palettes against it, depending on your shirt and skin tone.

Penciltester

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't choosing a color in those links just the patterns and i am evidently not to great at that choice either
. Anyway thanks for the advice. I have a "mink brown" colored fedora kind of mid range brown.

I think I will take your advice , "Suit Up", head into a store and have them help me with the tie and shoes.

Thanks again

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.9%