• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice for my first bespoke suit.

Reaction score
a black peak lapel suit that is not a tuxedo is not appropriate for important situations like a speech or a business meeting

you should do a dark grey or navy, single breasted, 2-button, notch lapel suit. if you're running in a crowd of people where spending over $10,000 for a suit isn't out of the ordinary, then they are pretty likely to know what a business suit vs. a party suit should look like...

black is essentially for funerals and tuxedos, and for beginners peak lapels should be reserved for tuxedos or double breasted suits

if you want a fashion-forward party suit, then black peak lapel suit might be okay but would still be some weird hybrid for someone a bit more advanced...
Sorry, I am just a rookie in suiting. My father is not a "suit" guy so nobody teach me about that in my family. The main source of my understanding in suit is TV series or movies. TV series like Suits or Movie like Kingsman. Havey Specter in Suits always wears Peak Lapel suit for work and Tony Stark wears one Tom Ford peak lapel three piece suit in Capitain America. As a result, I don't know why peak lapel is not good for work since it looks sharp and cool. Can you explain it in details?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you recently lost a lot of weight, I'd definitely not recommend buying a bespoke suit. A bespoke suit is going to be fitted to fit your current weight, but it is very likely you could end up going up or down in regards to weight sometimes soon. I'd suggest just tailoring some off the rack stuff in order to avoid blowing money.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I am just a rookie in suiting. My father is not a "suit" guy so nobody teach me about that in my family. The main source of my understanding in suit is TV series or movies. TV series like Suits or Movie like Kingsman. Havey Specter in Suits always wears Peak Lapel suit for work and Tony Stark wears one Tom Ford peak lapel three piece suit in Capitain America. As a result, I don't know why peak lapel is not good for work since it looks sharp and cool. Can you explain it in details?

it’s not suitable, peak lapel that is, for the typical office. It’s not suitable because it looks a little too sharp and stands out a bit too much. You’ll be graduating soon and I’m not really sure what you plan on getting into, or perhaps you’re going to grad school. Trust me, the office environment is not where you want to “stand out” especially if you’re starting out. Keep it simple. Focus on fit.

For that matter, you can build a really nice, versatile work and casual wardrobe for $18k. And I’m not talking about low quality and high quantity. Two really nice suits, a couple of sport coats and a few pair of slacks. That’s a great foundation. Don’t blow it on one suit. Your parents are beyond generous. Earn that generosity with good choices.

All Navy

Reaction score
For that matter, you can build a really nice, versatile work and casual wardrobe for $18k. And I’m not talking about low quality and high quantity. Two really nice suits, a couple of sport coats and a few pair of slacks. That’s a great foundation. Don’t blow it on one suit. Your parents are beyond generous. Earn that generosity with good choices.
Agree with this sentiment. If your crazy parents are actually committed to drop $18K regardless of the situation, you could really assemble a versatile high quality wardrobe (a couple good suits, a couple good odd jackets, multiple casual jackets, a few reasonable dress shoes, and a varied range of shirts, trousers, and knitwear) that will last you for the next two to three decades. That'll serve you much, much, much better than one ill-advised ultra-delicate overpriced suit with odd styling details.

Sorry, I am just a rookie in suiting.
A bespoke Huntsman jacket with its long skirt, single button, and hacking pockets is definitely the wrong call.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a peak lapel suit is a fashion-forward choice today. It’s flashy, which is why you see on TV and in the movies.

business suits on the other hand are effectively meant to blend in with the crowd.

with your budget, you can get a Tom Ford peak lapel suit for fun and a standard business suit from Brioni. You could also go to The Armoury and a tux, 2-3 suits, 2-3 sport coats and trousers and call it a day.

I’d worry more on how the suit fits and feels and less about notions of quality. 95% of people won’t be able to tell the difference in quality from Brioni vs. Savile Row vs. The Armoury

nevaeh

Reaction score

We're all rookies at some point. Out of curiousity, what are you majoring in at college? What type of job will you have after graduation?

Reaction score
A bespoke Huntsman jacket with its long skirt, single button, and hacking pockets is definitely the wrong call.
[/QUOTE]
Does Huntsman only offer single button? I want two button. I browse their website and find one picture.
Huntsman-Bespoke-Style-Advice-Town-2.jpg

I like this one but it is single botton. I wonder can they change it to two botton? Or they just cannot give up this single button style? If they really don't offer two button option even for bespoke, I will choose other shops.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's just their signature. They'll absolutely make you a two-button suit if you want one.

All Navy

Reaction score
As mentioned above, Huntsman can certainly do a two button jacket as well. You can also make the slanted pockets more horizontal.

But if you don't favor their house single button cut, I'm not sure why you'd bother with them.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you don't wear suits often, and you don't live or work in an environment where suits are natural, you may be better off with a softer silhouette, rather than Huntsman's structured cut. They are known for their very padded house style.

If you really want to put the money towards clothing, I think you should put it towards casualwear. That said, if the actual amount is 18k and not 1.8k, I would put it towards other things, not clothes.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I detect a tinge of jealousy?

Let me put it this way: if his parents are lovely enough to offer him 18k for his first suit or two, he doesn't need to put it towards a 'college fund' or whatever Americans do these days.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I was also looking for my first bespoke suit about two years ago and I like the Huntsman style as well especially for formal suits.

I'm only speaking for my experiences in the New York Huntsman location, but I've been there twice and I never felt welcomed, or listened to. I have felt like I was just being talked at and down to.

In stark contrast to other Savile Row tailors with a similar structured silhouette, specifically Kent, Haste & Lachter and Meyer & Mortimer. They've both been very nice to me, despite being upfront about my budget and needs and neither of them, despite making clothes for the British royal family, never made me feel like I was too poor to be their customer.

It's been a bit of a journey, but for that structured, single button style of British suit, I don't really see myself going anywhere else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads