• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice for hot weather wardrobe

dk_ace

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a while now and replacing my wardrobe. I had to make some compromises at first because I was pressed for time, but now I'm slowing down and trying to define my own style and build an appropriate wardrobe. I'm doing okay with regard to clothes for the cooler months now, but I'm at a loss for summer wear and it's right around the corner.

I live in northeast Texas, where it gets very hot. It is normal in the summer for temps to be at or above 100* with very high humidity to boot. Suits don't work in that environment obviously. I do wear a suit to work the rest of the year (or an odd jacket and trousers), but from roughly May to October it's just not feasible here much of the time.

With the climate in mind, I need some advice. From this point out, I'm looking for high quality purchases that will last. I do have a limited budget as I'm 25, married, and fairly fresh out of college, but I'm willing to make purchases slowly as needed to buy the right items. So, what items should I purchase or aspire to for both business and casual wear in this climate?

I'm really just starting to define my style, but I can assure you it does not include the following: white pants, light blue pants, red pants, any other oddly colored pants. That just isn't my thing. I've done some searching here along these lines (hot weather) and saw some of this stuff suggested, so I just want to make it clear now that I would not wear these items. Nothing against those that do, but it isn't my thing.

I'm 6' tall, trim (and will stay that way), and I work in the banking industry (corporate, not retail). Casual wear would be for dinner, shopping with the wife on the weekend, etc.

Thanks for your help!
D

SureShopApparel

Reaction score
hey Dk_ace! I'm 25 and married! congrads
smile.gif

I live in LA so styles might be slightly different but for a night out you can never go wrong with dark fitted jeans, dress shoes and nice long sleeve button down shirt by itself or over a v-neck. your 25 so never tuck in that shirt and mabye roll up those sleeves.
if its 100 degrees out during the day, i dont care what the next guy says, i'm wearing shorts, sandals and a v-neck /t-shirt.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SureShopApparel
hey Dk_ace! I'm 25 and married! congrads
smile.gif

I live in LA so styles might be slightly different but for a night out you can never go wrong with dark fitted jeans, dress shoes and nice long sleeve button down shirt by itself or over a v-neck. your 25 so never tuck in that shirt and mabye roll up those sleeves.
if its 100 degrees out during the day, i dont care what the next guy says, i'm wearing shorts, sandals and a v-neck /t-shirt.

When you can wear jeans with a long sleeve shirt and be comfortable in 100 degree weather (yes, if it was 120 during the day, by the time 10 or 12 rolls around, its still 100 degrees), please let me know how you did it!!!

@OP
Casual:
Mesh polo shirts are my friend. Light weight cotton khakis are great when I need pants, otherwise, shorts. The more breathable footwear the better (aka sandals/flip-flops if you can do it).

Business:
Tropical wool pants for when your outside, regular year-round weight wool pants inside. I know its a contradiction, but let me explain. The tropical wool will be great outside, but once your in the HVAC, you'll freeze. If you don't have to wear a jacket, don't. Just wear a broadcloth dress shirt. The lighter, the better. Usually this is associated with high thread count and high cost. But, you can figure it out. Whichever shirt lets in more light is lighter in weight. Not much choice in shoes, just wear whatever your most comfortable in.

Ok, I haven't actually tried this, but I've always had the inkling that a nice straw hat would keep you cooler. But I don't know if its true. It would certainly keep the sun off your head. But, certain styles aren't very stylish. So far, I've just kept out of the sun and stayed indoors as often as possible.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Madras and Linen, keeps the skin cool. Linen is really fantastic. gauze cotton too has a similar effect.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live in Florida and have seriously wrestled with this and am now finally somewhat successful.

Search for poasts by me that have warm, humid, or Florida in them and you'll get a boatload of experience (and they happen to be in threads with similar questions/issues)

Doc4

Reaction score
For casual wear, linen will be your best friend. A white linen shirt, a pair of tan/cream linen pants (maybe 50/50 linen/cotton for better durability on the pants), and you are well on your way.

For business, look to the lightest wools ... I have yet to try it, but I hear that Fresco is great. The British made an Empire in the tropics while wearing suits, and became adept at making suits that could function in the tropics. Not that buying a suit today from a British OTR maker will help ... that stuff is made for the English summer (which is kind of like your winter.)

You are probably looking at going bespoke (or at least MTM) for a suit ... looking for the lightweight wools, and have it made unlined, which will really reduce the insulation, make it much more breathable, and wearable.

In general, stick with the lighter colours.

You may dislike the prospect of white pants, nothing wrong with feeling that way, but the lighter the colour, the more sunlight it will reflect as light rather than absorb as heat. Tans, creams, pale blues and pinks (well, for shirts and such), those will help a lot. I used to think that this was "well, duh!" advice for anyone over the age of twelve, but having recently met some adults who didn't know about this (and who came from hot climates), I figure I ought to mention it just in case.

(Of course, if you have clothing for the evening, when the sun is down, you can disregard this colour-coded advice obviously.)

SureShopApparel

Reaction score
I understand its hot out there but wool or linen pants! ugh! and for me khaki's are never a good choice for anyone.
dk_ace is 25, not 65.

GBer

Reaction score
Try summer in Miami or Phoenix, it's worse. Let's not even talk about the Middle East or Southeast Asia. Try tropical weight wool, linen, linen blends, and seersucker fabrics. People do wear suits when it's over 100.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In steam bath humidity, Linen is your best friend. (Used to live in Arkansas just outside of Little Rock where temps in summer regularly topped 90 and often in lower 100's).

Casual in temps like that is a no brainer - I relied ubiquitously on 1/2 - 3/4 length shorts and polo shirts or tees.

Formal - the Linen suit is a no brainer. Short sleeve linen shirts were worn more often than long sleeve. You can just about survive when the weather is nasty hot.

Of course, when there is air conditioning, I would still wear lightweight wool - the jacket goes on the moment I approach the office. Otherwise it stays off.

tacobender

Reaction score
I spend my summers in Phoenix and wear a suit or jacket and tie.
Here are my thoughts:
You have to get summer weight jackets. Hopefully in lighter colors.
Linen shirts are your friend.
Incotex makes a great lighter weight khaki.
You can wear a polo shirt under a jacket, and still look fashionable. (shirt should be well fitting, nothing like one of those baggy beach towels)
I always roll my sleeves up, but this year I don't care I will commit the sin of wearing a button down short sleeve shirt and tie. I don't care if I look like Detective Sippowitz from NYPD Blue, its going to be 100+ degrees out starting say last week of April until October. I have to do what I have to do to keep cool.

jimp

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any RTW linen suits made from fabrics that are wrinkle-resistant? I like the idea of linen, but always get turned off by the wrinkles.

dk_ace

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help gentlemen. I guess I need to give linen another chance. I bought a linen shirt last summer. It ripped mysteriously on the first wear, and that was the last linen shirt I bought assuming it must be too fragile for me. I don't remember snagging it on anything. It must have just been a fluke though as it seems many of you guys wear them without trouble. That shirt was expensive, fit well, and I just liked it, so I was pretty frustrated that I only got to wear it once. It pissed me off enough that I never bought another one...

I have one fairly lightweight Italian navy suit (120s). I think that might work on some days. I'll try it and see. I don't have to wear a suit in the summer, but I do want to have one at least that will work when I need it to. If it's too hot to wear, I may need to check into getting a linen suit. That will undoubtedly be an expensive purchase though, so I might have to wait until next year for that one. I'd rather buy once, cry once on a linen suit I think.

I have some mid-lightweight wool trousers. I was really thinking that those would be too hot, but it looks like a lot of you guys wear them and don't fry so they might work after all.

I only have a couple of polos as they really haven't been my thing in the past. I prefer cotton dress shirts. I should probably grab a couple though to see if I've changed my mind and just to have a few different options available.

D

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimp
Does anyone know of any RTW linen suits made from fabrics that are wrinkle-resistant? I like the idea of linen, but always get turned off by the wrinkles.

Thicker linen or linen blends resist wrinkling. But, lets face it. Its linen... It wrinkles. That's what linen does. Blend it with polyester if you don't want the wrinkles.

Originally Posted by dk_ace
I have some mid-lightweight wool trousers. I was really thinking that those would be too hot, but it looks like a lot of you guys wear them and don't fry so they might work after all.

I only have a couple of polos as they really haven't been my thing in the past. I prefer cotton dress shirts. I should probably grab a couple though to see if I've changed my mind and just to have a few different options available.

D

Do not get me wrong. I fry. I fry no matter if I'm wearing only swim shorts. I'd fry if I was naked outside. I still stew a little in my apartment because I can't afford to turn up the AC too much.

I still fry in my mid weight wool trousers. I just hurry up from the car to wherever I'm going. The sun is no joke. If your fast about it, you won't sweat too much outside.

As for polos, up to you and your business standards. I can't do it in my line of work. At least this summer I won't be working, I'll be bar studying. Won't need to worry about looking good.
biggrin.gif

dk_ace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Thicker linen or linen blends resist wrinkling. But, lets face it. Its linen... It wrinkles. That's what linen does. Blend it with polyester if you don't want the wrinkles.

Do not get me wrong. I fry. I fry no matter if I'm wearing only swim shorts. I'd fry if I was naked outside. I still stew a little in my apartment because I can't afford to turn up the AC too much.

I still fry in my mid weight wool trousers. I just hurry up from the car to wherever I'm going. The sun is no joke. If your fast about it, you won't sweat too much outside.

As for polos, up to you and your business standards. I can't do it in my line of work. At least this summer I won't be working, I'll be bar studying. Won't need to worry about looking good.
biggrin.gif

Polos are acceptable where I work between Memorial Day and Labor Day, but they are at the bottom of the barrel of what's acceptable. As such, I don't want to wear them very often. I prefer to be on the better dressed side of the dress code. Many of my colleagues will be wearing polos though, particularly golf shirts. I don't play golf, so I feel a bit out of place in those really.

Originally Posted by SureShopApparel
I understand its hot out there but wool or linen pants! ugh! and for me khaki's are never a good choice for anyone.
dk_ace is 25, not 65.

While I'm not 65, I'm on a board discussing "classic men's tailored clothing." Wool pants seems like a likely suggestion don't you think? I did check the link to your site that you PM'ed me. It seems you deal in graphic tees primarily. Perhaps you're on the wrong forum?

D

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan