1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice? Ask the Panel *

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Douglas, Aug 2, 2012.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Im taking an English class with a professor that really enjoys the author and has written several books about him. I'm considering writing a final essay worth 50% essentially hating on the author. Bad idea even if it is well written?

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Hang out socially with friends who don't drink while maintaining your old friendships by doing non-drinking things with them.

Depends. Who's the author?

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

If you haven't already floated a trial balloon to see how the professor handles dissent, then I would avoid.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Nabokov.

He doesn't get angry over dissent he just turns shortcomings into intent.

I am thinking of writing a tamer one about his time in ithaca, but it doesnt sound as fun to me

5. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Lolita is one of my favorite books of all time.

I later picked up King, Queen, Knave and it was unreadable, but it is one of those early Russian works that was translated, so maybe that was the problem.

6. why

why Senior member

Nabokov is probably only one of the worthwhile authors of the past century. He's one of the few authors that demonstrates the value of literature as a medium -- no other medium can accurately represent what's in his books.

And his letters always make me laugh. :laugh:

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I just read king queen knave. It's his take on Flaubert (type themes) and although he would rather die twice then admit it, it is quite similar to great gatsby.

Nabokov is great in his usage of similes, metaphors, imagery, but his early novels have this self pompousness and subtle grandiose statements that makes you feel like you're reading novels and stories written by an extremely talented Brian from family guy or Ted from how I met your mother. I want to blurt this in class but I dare not.

His writing is quite lovely tho and has this nice self conscious quality almost as if he is making light metaphysical jokes but not in the hit you over the head with intellectualism like Joyce does. A real pleasure to read

8. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Is a 32" widescreen TV overkill for my desktop computer?

9. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

Thanks for the Input. I'm not sure if you can transfer credits from a completed degree though, doesn't sound right. that's why I thought transferring mid degree would be better, ti save time.

10. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I would think you only have to repeat the last two years.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yep, same here re: Lolita. It's one of a small handful of books I've re-read. Someone recommended Pale Fire, which I started but wasn't up to finishing at the time.

12. why

why Senior member

Speak, Memory is better. I'll never forget some parts of that book. Nabokov is one of the only novelists that was really an artist and not just a storyteller. The stuff he wrote painted mental pictures that could never be done in any other medium because they require a certain 'cerebrality' and imagination that's able to elicit a change of perspective on the world that the audience sees for themselves -- and that's what I think is the aim of all good art/ists.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

only if your favorite website is meatspin.

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:eh:

15. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

It's a bad idea to use it as your primary monitor, if that's what you are asking.

16. Matt

Matt Senior member

i get the distinct impression you are Australian. Am I wrong?

17. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

I am indeed an Australian

18. Matt

Matt Senior member

Ya, got that impression by your phrasing above. I'm the Sherlock Holmes of Adelaide-fleeing-expats.

So you want to move into academia in the humanities? are there roles available...like....at all?

I'm just trying to piece this together, but it sounded above like you 1. don't like the destination 2. don't like the journey and so 3. are looking at changing to another road to the same destination. If 1 is true (either through your own ambitions or otherwise market realities), I'd be thinking of changing roads, but switching to one that ends up elsewhere....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  19. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

haha impressive!

I think the best thing I can do right now is to just try to finish this semester off with a solid effort and see how I feel afterwards.

20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Why? Eyestrain?