• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice 2nd try....

dawsy

Reaction score
Does this suit fit right?????I got this suit when I was younger and recently had it let out. Any feedback would be appreciated.

literasyme

Reaction score
I'd say it "fits" reasonably well, but it looks pretty ancient -- very low gorge and stance, the buttons are awkwardly close together, and the quarters look strange. The pants are also much baggier than contemporary cuts. How old is the suit?

dawsy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
I'd say it "fits" reasonably well, but it looks pretty ancient -- very low gorge and stance, the buttons are awkwardly close together, and the quarters look strange. The pants are also much baggier than contemporary cuts. How old is the suit?
I got it about 11 years ago when I was in high school.....I don't want to get rid of it b/c it's an Armani suit......It was my graduation present.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. sleeves are too long
2. pants are not well-fitted, especially in the back
3. the style is very obsolete
4. it's black
5. just because it's an armani suit doesn't mean it looks good.

depending on which line it came from, armani can range from one of the lower end suits in terms on quality, to a middle end range.

best to donate it to salvation army or sell it on ebay (you'll probably get $50-$100 for it, if you're lucky), and look for a new one.

houserichichi

Reaction score
It looks to me as though the pockets have been opened as well...the one on the right is drooping open. At eleven years old I'd probably donate it and opt for a replacement if you're in a position to be wearing suits regularly. Even box store suits look more up to date than this one (the gorge on this suit screams late 80s/early 90s and that's my sartorial pet peeve). It looks very full in the chest to my eyes and the sleeves are way too long. I agree with the above, that just because it says Armani on the tag in no way means it's a good suit in any way, shape, or form. They had a killer marketing team twenty years ago and IMO is the only reason they're still around today.

MichaelE

Reaction score
The sleeves are too long, but other than that it looks like it fits reasonably well.

I don't care for the deep gorge and the closely spaced buttons. It looks almost like a dinner jacket.

dawsy

Reaction score
Appreciate the info......Took it out of the closet and tried to save it. Have quit a few others that are new.......As for the hit on Armani its all I have and I don't agree with the criticism of those suits at all. I probably won't sell/donate it because it was my first nice suit but thanks anyway.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dawsy
Appreciate the info......Took it out of the closet and tried to save it. Have quit a few others that are new.......As for the hit on Armani its all I have and I don't agree with the criticism of those suits at all. I probably won't sell/donate it because it was my first nice suit but thanks anyway.
it's not that armani can't look good, it's just that the styling itself is extremely dated. it's a dated suit and looks terrible by today's standards. if you're looking for advice, you got it; but if you were looking for e-props or something, then sorry, can't indulge you even if i stretched my bounds of allowance.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
it's not that armani can't look good, it's just that the styling itself is extremely dated. it's a dated suit and looks terrible by today's standards. if you're looking for advice, you got it; but if you were looking for e-props or something, then sorry, can't indulge you even if i stretched my bounds of allowance.
terrible is a stretch! I think it looks OK, little old, but most people wont know the difference. it certainly doesnt stand out to me as being spectacular, you may want to find a tailor who used to make Bespoke, or someone with experience with high end italian suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads