• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need accessory and tie help for my wedding suit please.

opticalserenity

Reaction score
After much research here, I decided on a black Hart Shaffner Marx suit for my wedding..

shoe, a black plain Johnston & Murphy.

For the shirt, a Brooks Brother's white, no pocket French cuff.

I haven't decided on a tie yet though, so I need some help. The wedding "colors" are blue & silver, so I was thinking of a silver / silverish tie. Something fancy. So, suggestions? I'm 31 years old, if that helps.

I need a pocket square also...

I also haven't yet decided on the cufflinks. For my watch, I'll most likely be wearing an Omega Seamaster Professional (2254.50) that's stainless and black.

Also, what are the thoughts on a tie pin, bar, or collar bar. Thoughts on those?

So I guess I have a lot to pick.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum.
You didn't specify the suit fabrics or textures (if any). I'll use a plain black suit from this manufacturer as a reference point....

With the watch you have in mind (inappropriate in my opinion) you are best to stay with silver or stainless steel cufflinks. Wear an off-white linen pocket square. A nice midnight blue velvet bow tie may be an option....

(pictured -Lanvin)

....thusly giving you a James Bond -like appearance....

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and may you have many happy years together.

Last edited:

opticalserenity

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did read the Styleforum 101 and didn't see where it said not to wear a watch. I've always been a huge watch guy so while I don't mind it necessarily, it would be hard to go without one.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think that's in SF101. It's not that everyone will think you're a bad person if you wear a watch. But (very) traditionally its considered somewhat rude to wear a watch with black tie as it indicates you're looking forward to the host's event ending, or you have somewhere more important to be. It's the early 20th century equivalent of wearing a blackberry strapped to your belt. I know you're not going to be in black tie but the same principles apply. It's your wedding, what else do you have going on that you need to be sure to be on time for?

opticalserenity

Reaction score
Ah ok thanks. I have a watch collection because I like the art / style in them, but I do get what you're saying.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with wearing a slim black-faced watch to your wedding. It will be far more elegant and discreet than peering into an Iphone.

Last edited:

opticalserenity

Reaction score
Haha, indeed. I'll keep my iPhone hidden away. Where is a good place to find an off white linen pocket square (or a white one)?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you have not stated your location, the only applicable reply would be, wherever quality menswear is sold in your area.

Last edited:

opticalserenity

Reaction score
Thanks, I ordered the Kent Wang and will go by H. Stockton also...I have to go to the Brooks Brothers at Lenox Square anyway, as they ordered my groosmen ties in a Navy instead of the light blue as I had requested. :)

One more question: I was thinking of getting some matching silk knots for my groosmen, any suggestions on affordable but nice knots? I need 7 pair.

Last edited:

dorolf07

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with wearing a slim black-faced watch to your wedding. It will be far more elegant and discreet than peering into an Iphone.

Don't you just hate it when people discreetly look into their phones during these events.. I'd rather wear a watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads