• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a well fitting suit for Wedding.

Budman93

Reaction score
Hello, first time posting. I'm not a terribly stylish guy, I wear a lot of jeans and plaid flannel shirts, but I am getting married in June and I need to find a nice suit. My problem is that I am not a typical size and finding even t-shirts that fit me is a nightmare. I'm 5' 6" and about 165-170 pounds. I have never been able to buy clothes in a store that fit me properly. I have always had to get pants and even shorts hemmed and then they are even more baggy and out of proportion and the rise is always way too long. A year ago I got some jeans from Peter Manning and that was the first time I had a pair that really properly fit. I can't wear any of my old ones anymore because they just feel awful. But long story short I need to find a nice suit that actually fits properly and I am dreading shopping for it because I know my chances of finding anything that fits even somewhat off the rack is very very low. But I also don't want to spend a ton of money for a custom suit because of the money and the fact that I very seldom wear a suit. I would say my biggest problem is the rise of the pants being far too long so that they are super baggy and uncomfortable to walk in plus the legs are too wide after hemming a 30 length down to a 26 or 27. After that the coat and sleeves are always enormously too long and anything short enough is not wide enough to fit me without ripping the back out. Do I have any options other than full custom or extremely involved, expensive tailoring?

Mannerheim

Reaction score
If it's so hard to find decent-fitting clothes you should try cheap online MTM, like Indochino
But if you're getting married you could at least try better (more expensive) MTM or bespoke, you're not buying a random suit here, you can't afford to look like **** on such a day

Budman93

Reaction score
If it's so hard to find decent-fitting clothes you should try cheap online MTM, like Indochino
But if you're getting married you could at least try better (more expensive) MTM or bespoke, you're not buying a random suit here, you can't afford to look like **** on such a day

Yeah, I'd sooner just wear something other than a suit than wear one that doesn't fit me. I was looking at the Indochino website last night but I read some stuff saying the fabrics are low quality and they don't really fit that well since they're working blindly just from measurements. Can you recommend some better companies that make made to measure suits? I really have no idea what the quality companies vs cheap companies are. Also when you say "more expensive" how much are we talking?

Mannerheim

Reaction score
If you nail the measurements those cheap MTM can be great, see what Street x Sprezza wrote on them,
Otherwise there are so much good value out there with brands like Suitspply, S&M, Luxire, etc
Just browse a few threads

Maljunulo

Reaction score
Are you saying that your groomsmen will all need to buy a suit? (that none of them already own a suitable suit)

Budman93

Reaction score
Are you saying that your groomsmen will all need to buy a suit? (that none of them already own a suitable suit)

Some of them probably have suits but i dont really know. But even if they have a nice suit it isnt likely to match. We're thinking we might have the groomsmen just wear matching pants with suspenders and tie or maybe waistcoat and a tie. With the colors my fiancée has picked im probably going to go with a gray suit.

Stuart Midgley

Reaction score
Congrats on your upcoming wedding! Could I suggest not worrying about matching the clothes of the groomsmen? It's not historically all that common - more of a recent fad (by which I mean the last 20-25 years) and it's a big cost that often doesn't result in a good look anyway. Six cheap suits for your groomsmen costs you lots of $$$ in total but still results in six cheap suits - by which I mean nasty and ill-fitting. Do a quick Google image search for 'groomsmen suits' or similar to see what I mean.

If your groomsmen wear the best suits that they already have then you save all that money that can be better spent on the food/booze/your suit! You could get each groomsman wearing a beautifully chosen common button-hole flower instead (to distinguish them as part of the wedding party) and use the money saved to get yourself a knock-out custom suit for yourself that will look great on the day and serve you for the next 15 years.

It's up to you and your bride-to-be of course, but I always think matching the grooms suits is a big expense that doesn't usually lead to a good outcome. It's a lot of money for a one-shot deal that often doesn't end up looking that good anyway. On the other hand, I can attest that your good lady will not complain when she sees YOU in your top-flight custom suit every time the two of you dress formal for the next decade... :)

Budman93

Reaction score
Congrats on your upcoming wedding! Could I suggest not worrying about matching the clothes of the groomsmen? It's not historically all that common - more of a recent fad (by which I mean the last 20-25 years) and it's a big cost that often doesn't result in a good look anyway. Six cheap suits for your groomsmen costs you lots of $$$ in total but still results in six cheap suits - by which I mean nasty and ill-fitting. Do a quick Google image search for 'groomsmen suits' or similar to see what I mean.

If your groomsmen wear the best suits that they already have then you save all that money that can be better spent on the food/booze/your suit! You could get each groomsman wearing a beautifully chosen common button-hole flower instead (to distinguish them as part of the wedding party) and use the money saved to get yourself a knock-out custom suit for yourself that will look great on the day and serve you for the next 15 years.

It's up to you and your bride-to-be of course, but I always think matching the grooms suits is a big expense that doesn't usually lead to a good outcome. It's a lot of money for a one-shot deal that often doesn't end up looking that good anyway. On the other hand, I can attest that your good lady will not complain when she sees YOU in your top-flight custom suit every time the two of you dress formal for the next decade... :)

Its a good point but i doubt that will fly lol. We'll probably go with the groomsmen not wearing a full suit since they would probably appreciate it in June anyway. At this point the jury is still out but I'm pretty sure my fiancée is going to want them to match since the bridesmaids will be.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, my wedding is coming up in the not-too-distant future, so maybe I can be some help.

My fiancee likewise is requiring that the groomsmen match. Meh, fine by me. I am asking each of them to rent a tuxedo - frankly, I do not think it is that big of an ask, considering that I have been required to rent a tuxedo in each and every one of their weddings. Plus, gone are the days that you can ask someone to "wear their best suit." I would say the majority of my groomsmen do not own a suit. And those that do, well, I do not trust their stylistic choices. Sometimes it is easier to hedge your bets.

As for me, I am wearing a tuxedo that I am in the process of ordering.

Your measurements are not too obscure. If you have a Suitsupply around, that would likely be a good, reasonable option. I have also heard good things about Spier & Mackay, although I have not used them. I would stay away from online MTM. I would say 99% of it is utter garbage. And you are something of a neophyte, so I think it could be disastrous.

In general, I think it is mildly ridiculous that people are pointing you towards bespoke or MTM. The value of inexpensive MTM is vastly overstated, and there are plenty of excellent RTW options in the sub-$1,000 range. Again, most places stock shorts, and a variety of sizes. There will be something that will fit you - you just may have to go through some trial and error.

Budman93

Reaction score
Alright, my wedding is coming up in the not-too-distant future, so maybe I can be some help.

My fiancee likewise is requiring that the groomsmen match. Meh, fine by me. I am asking each of them to rent a tuxedo - frankly, I do not think it is that big of an ask, considering that I have been required to rent a tuxedo in each and every one of their weddings. Plus, gone are the days that you can ask someone to "wear their best suit." I would say the majority of my groomsmen do not own a suit. And those that do, well, I do not trust their stylistic choices. Sometimes it is easier to hedge your bets.

As for me, I am wearing a tuxedo that I am in the process of ordering.

Your measurements are not too obscure. If you have a Suitsupply around, that would likely be a good, reasonable option. I have also heard good things about Spier & Mackay, although I have not used them. I would stay away from online MTM. I would say 99% of it is utter garbage. And you are something of a neophyte, so I think it could be disastrous.

In general, I think it is mildly ridiculous that people are pointing you towards bespoke or MTM. The value of inexpensive MTM is vastly overstated, and there are plenty of excellent RTW options in the sub-$1,000 range. Again, most places stock shorts, and a variety of sizes. There will be something that will fit you - you just may have to go through some trial and error.

Ok, so thats another opinion against the online stuff. I'm also skeptical of it but I was thinking it wouldnt be that much of a risk since if it sucks I can just return it for a full refund. That being said it wouldnt hurt to look in some stores first. I will be surprised if I can find anything that fits without a ton of alteration though. A few years ago I was looking for a suit and it was a total nightmare. Generally if I find a jacket that's short enough it is too tight. And when I say generally I may as well say always, non-suit jackets/sweatshirts and things included. Everything I own is too big/long for me. But I'm willing to look. Where i live I know we have a Men's Wearhouse and a Joseph A. Banks. I've never heard of Suit Supply or Spier & Mackay but google tells me there is a Suit Supply 1-2 hours from me depending on traffic going towards D.C. It seems the only two Spier & Mackay stores are in Toronto so I won't be going there. So outside of a long awful drive into D.C. Mens wearhouse and Joseph A. Banks are my options.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not have a problem with "online stuff," per se. By way of example, order 8 suits from Spier & Mackay or Suit Supply, and return those that do not fit. However, I do have a problem with inexpensive online MTM. I think the results are almost always awful.

Nonetheless, unless you are truly, truly, an uncommon fit, RTW should have something for you. And I would trust to a greater degree MTM from a brick and mortar, like Suitsupply MTM.

With that in mind, if you are not willing to drive 1-2 hours to Suit Supply to purchase a suit for your wedding, then I am not sure how much help I can be (by way of example, I will have made three trips by plane to Chicago for my wedding suit). For better or for worse, dressing well often takes significant time and often money to get right.

In short, I think Suitsupply could help you out, if you are willing to make the trip. I used to think I was a difficult fit with RTW, until, well, I found some RTW that fit me.

Budman93

Reaction score
I do not have a problem with "online stuff," per se. By way of example, order 8 suits from Spier & Mackay or Suit Supply, and return those that do not fit. However, I do have a problem with inexpensive online MTM. I think the results are almost always awful.

Nonetheless, unless you are truly, truly, an uncommon fit, RTW should have something for you. And I would trust to a greater degree MTM from a brick and mortar, like Suitsupply MTM.

With that in mind, if you are not willing to drive 1-2 hours to Suit Supply to purchase a suit for your wedding, then I am not sure how much help I can be (by way of example, I will have made three trips by plane to Chicago for my wedding suit). For better or for worse, dressing well often takes significant time and often money to get right.

In short, I think Suitsupply could help you out, if you are willing to make the trip. I used to think I was a difficult fit with RTW, until, well, I found some RTW that fit me.

I'm not unwilling to go there, but I have limited time and money to spend on this. If I can't find anything nice locally I will go there even though driving into D.C. is about as terrible a commute as you can find anywhere in the country. But as you said, I'm new at this, I'm not into nice clothes, while you clearly are to a high degree. I would never even consider taking one trip by plane just for clothing, let alone three. That's serious right there. I appreciate the help though.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not unwilling to go there, but I have limited time and money to spend on this. If I can't find anything nice locally I will go there even though driving into D.C. is about as terrible a commute as you can find anywhere in the country. But as you said, I'm new at this, I'm not into nice clothes, while you clearly are to a high degree. I would never even consider taking one trip by plane just for clothing, let alone three. That's serious right there. I appreciate the help though.

I completely understand. You are on a forum where many of us (myself included) get a lot of joy from our clothing. And trust me, I know that we are in the minority.

However, I would implore you to try your best - even though your best would not necessarily be my best - to dress as well as you can for your wedding. Coming here is an excellent first step. The pictures that you take on your wedding day will be around for a long time. Might as well give it your best.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ranking high on the advantages of manhood (just below no queue for the loo) is that you can actually wear your wedding suit long after the wedding. Your bride’s expensive gown will never see daylight again but your own classic navy or grey suit will get worn for years—if not in your line of work then at all those social events that inevitably follow matrimony. So invest in a good suit. As a side benefit, a really expensive and well fitting suit will encourage you to resist the accumulation of pounds that also inevitably follow matrimony.

golfnutter66

Reaction score
For what its worth, you sound like a 40 short based on your height and weight. When you search for a suit or sport coat, try a 40 short. You may be surprised how well it fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads