• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a tie

broady

Reaction score
I have a black tie event next week, and the only thing I have to satisfy this criteria is a black suit.

I'm going to borrow a friend's shirt, which is a very light, solid pink, spread collar.

What tie should I get to go with this? I was thinking blue.

Are there any on AU ebay that are worth looking at?
http://search.ebay.com.au/search/sea...trypage=search

"Tie Heaven" are selling CK ones, which, to my eye, don't look all too bad.

Budget: $50, preferably under $30. By the way, I am 17

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear a white shirt and silver tie or even black with some texture or a tone on tone pattern (that's my usual black tie alternative). It's not exactly black tie but makes for a nice evening outfit. Also, if you need it for next week, I would forget about eBay or online stores. You may not get it on time. You need to shop at B&M stores. And don't forget the pocket squares, white linen is fine but you could also go with a silken square in silver or white. And wear nice, properly shined leather soled, plain toe black shoes.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you are set on the pink shirt and black suit, I suggest either a black or very dark burgundy grenadine or knit silk tie. (Not blue.) Maybe Nick M has some B&M suggestions for you locally.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This brings up a good question: Is it appropriate to wear a black suit and a standard shirt and tie to an event that is black-tie? I personally would not do it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
This brings up a good question: Is it appropriate to wear a black suit and a standard shirt and tie to an event that is black-tie? I personally would not do it.
Not really, but I doubt he will be in trouble, being 17. Of course it depends on the nature of the event how much he will stand out.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Not really, but I doubt he will be in trouble, being 17. Of course it depends on the nature of the event how much he will stand out.

Ooops! I didn't see the 17 part. But still, I would at least wear a tuxedo shirt with it, and as posted before, a silver tie would be the best choice. What is the nature of the event? And yes, if we are talking a formal dance in a high school gym it's one thing, but if it's a ball at a posh country club it is another....

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If you are set on the pink shirt and black suit, I suggest either a black or very dark burgundy grenadine or knit silk tie. (Not blue.) Maybe Nick M has some B&M suggestions for you locally.
Um, yeah. Call me crazy, but for a black tie event a good choice might be . . . black?
bigstar[1].gif

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless it's black tie optional, you should really buy or rent a tux (since you're 17, renting is probably the better way to go - you're still growing). Barring this, wear the black suit with a white shirt and either a black or silver tie.

broady

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

It's my hockey club's presentation dinner.

I think the code is more towards BT Optional. Last year, most people wore Black suit (tux or suit), white shirt, and any tie. The club pres had a golden yellow tie.

I have a silk/linen pocket square that I'll use. Perhaps it's a good idea to get a white shirt then. I only have my school shirts, which are appalling, and my fathers, which are a few sizes too big.

I just wanted to buy something I can use at my school formal (which is not really even Black Tie Optional), and at my scholarship interview (fingers crossed).

Thats the other thing I wanted to ask, would wearing an ensemble like this be out of the question for an interview? Solid black unvented suit..

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might do a search on the words "black suit." Be prepared to watch your monitor melt.

Personally, I'd not worry too much if a 17-year-old interviewed with me wearing a black suit. It's not in the best of taste, but even well-bred adolescents sometimes have to take what they get as they race through ascending clothing sizes. If I were you, however, I'd try to tone it down a bit and not do the silver tie thing during the day. Burgundy would be much better.
Or punt and go with the navy blazer/ repp tie look. Just make sure that you have appropriate shoes, well-polished.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics