1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need a tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by broady, Sep 29, 2006.

1. broady

broady Senior member

I have a black tie event next week, and the only thing I have to satisfy this criteria is a black suit.

I'm going to borrow a friend's shirt, which is a very light, solid pink, spread collar.

What tie should I get to go with this? I was thinking blue.

Are there any on AU ebay that are worth looking at?
    http://search.ebay.com.au/search/sea...trypage=search

"Tie Heaven" are selling CK ones, which, to my eye, don't look all too bad.

Budget: $50, preferably under $30. By the way, I am 17

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I would wear a white shirt and silver tie or even black with some texture or a tone on tone pattern (that's my usual black tie alternative). It's not exactly black tie but makes for a nice evening outfit. Also, if you need it for next week, I would forget about eBay or online stores. You may not get it on time. You need to shop at B&M stores. And don't forget the pocket squares, white linen is fine but you could also go with a silken square in silver or white. And wear nice, properly shined leather soled, plain toe black shoes.

3. j

j Senior member Admin

If you are set on the pink shirt and black suit, I suggest either a black or very dark burgundy grenadine or knit silk tie. (Not blue.) Maybe Nick M has some B&M suggestions for you locally.

4. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

This brings up a good question: Is it appropriate to wear a black suit and a standard shirt and tie to an event that is black-tie? I personally would not do it.

5. j

j Senior member Admin

This brings up a good question: Is it appropriate to wear a black suit and a standard shirt and tie to an event that is black-tie? I personally would not do it.
    Not really, but I doubt he will be in trouble, being 17. Of course it depends on the nature of the event how much he will stand out.

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Not really, but I doubt he will be in trouble, being 17. Of course it depends on the nature of the event how much he will stand out.

Ooops! I didn't see the 17 part. But still, I would at least wear a tuxedo shirt with it, and as posted before, a silver tie would be the best choice. What is the nature of the event? And yes, if we are talking a formal dance in a high school gym it's one thing, but if it's a ball at a posh country club it is another....

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

If you are set on the pink shirt and black suit, I suggest either a black or very dark burgundy grenadine or knit silk tie. (Not blue.) Maybe Nick M has some B&M suggestions for you locally.
    Um, yeah. Call me crazy, but for a black tie event a good choice might be . . . black? [​IMG]

8. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Unless it's black tie optional, you should really buy or rent a tux (since you're 17, renting is probably the better way to go - you're still growing). Barring this, wear the black suit with a white shirt and either a black or silver tie.

9. broady

broady Senior member

Thanks guys.

It's my hockey club's presentation dinner.

I think the code is more towards BT Optional. Last year, most people wore Black suit (tux or suit), white shirt, and any tie. The club pres had a golden yellow tie.

I have a silk/linen pocket square that I'll use. Perhaps it's a good idea to get a white shirt then. I only have my school shirts, which are appalling, and my fathers, which are a few sizes too big.

I just wanted to buy something I can use at my school formal (which is not really even Black Tie Optional), and at my scholarship interview (fingers crossed).

Thats the other thing I wanted to ask, would wearing an ensemble like this be out of the question for an interview? Solid black unvented suit..

10. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

You might do a search on the words "black suit." Be prepared to watch your monitor melt.

Personally, I'd not worry too much if a 17-year-old interviewed with me wearing a black suit. It's not in the best of taste, but even well-bred adolescents sometimes have to take what they get as they race through ascending clothing sizes. If I were you, however, I'd try to tone it down a bit and not do the silver tie thing during the day. Burgundy would be much better.
    Or punt and go with the navy blazer/ repp tie look. Just make sure that you have appropriate shoes, well-polished.

11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

12. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I dunno about the pink shirt but you could wear a black bow tie with a black suit with a standard soft pleated shirt and Im almost certan no one would really notice that it wasnt a tuxedo. In fact, as a globe we're heading towards a faceless, trimless tuxedo.