• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a suit for under $500

Thumby55

Reaction score
Hey guys,
haven't posted in a while. Anyway, I need a semi-cheap suit for an office Christmas party coming up. I already have a belt and shoes, as well as a dress shirt, all I need is a tie and a suit. I have an estimated budget of roughly $500 and would like to get something that doesn't look too cheap. I've got a few dress shirts that I can wear (Blue and white checkered pattern boss, mauve burberry nova check, white and blue vertical striped french cuffed burberry [my fav]).

As for my body type, I'm pretty tall (about 6 foot 6), 230lbs. Blonde hair, blue eyes (typical wasp).

One more thing, I'm no "brand whore", I got the three dress shirts at Holt Renfrew in Toronto at a severe discount and couldn't resist.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
If you live in the Toronto area, the Harry Rosen outlet is a great place to get a nice suit for around $500 CDN. The outlet is in Mississauga by the 401 and Mavis. Hugo Boss suits usually go for about $600 and up but there are always a few for around the price that you are looking at. The JP Tilford, Arnold Brant suits are in your range as well. Call ahead and make sure that they have a decent selection in your size. From the colour of shirts you describe, it seems that a navy blue suit is the way to go.

FCS

Reaction score
I was about to suggest the same thing.

Thumby55

Reaction score
Thx for the quick reply. I really appreciate it. Yeah, navy would look good, I just don't want to look like my dad. By the way, I think my size is 46L-48L.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Don't worry too much about looking like your dad. A good quality navy suit is so versatile that you can make it look very conservative or add a bold shirt and tie combination to make it look hipper. A lot will depend on the cut of the suit and how it fits you. If navy blue is not a colour that interests you, charcoal would be my other suggestion. As equally as versatile as navy and there are a plethora of colours that can be worn with a charcoal suit from grey to pink. These are probably the two colours that are best suited for, I am assuming, your first suit. Another place to possibly try is the Holt Renfrew outlet on Steeles. I personally think that the selection is better at the Harry Rosen outlet but you could always give both a try.

FCS

Reaction score
Didn't know that Holt Renfrew has an outlet in town. What are some of the other high-end outlets available around TO?

I'll try to visit Dack's Shoes outlet in Etobicoke soon. Have you guys been there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads