• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a suit for a 7/10 wedding. On a TIGHT budget. BarIII slim suit @ $124 on eBay a safe bet?

loveandhate

Reaction score
6'3 200 lbs black guy in need of a decent suit to go with brown double monks.

Currently on a ridiculously tight budget (new mortgage) & thought I'd check in w/ the SF experts before pulling the trigger on the Bar III slim fit. Budget is under $200 including alterations. I'm usually a solid 42L so I rarely need many alterations on off the each suits.

Any advice/ links welcome. Thanks!!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bar III makes ok suits. A bit fashion forward with slim lapels and short length. You can find better brands for cheaper if you look.

I'd recommend measuring a well fitting jacket and pair of pants.

Jacket
Armpit to armpit
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam
Shoulder seam to sleeve cuff
Bottom of collar to bottom of jacket

Pants
Half waist
Front rise
Thigh
Inseam
Opening at ankle

A 42 R will fit differently in different brands. Ask sellers for these numbers and compare to get a sense of what alterations you'll need to have done. Good luck.

loveandhate

Reaction score
Bar III makes ok suits. A bit fashion forward with slim lapels and short length. You can find better brands for cheaper if you look.

I'd recommend measuring a well fitting jacket and pair of pants.

Jacket
Armpit to armpit
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam
Shoulder seam to sleeve cuff
Bottom of collar to bottom of jacket

Pants
Half waist
Front rise
Thigh
Inseam
Opening at ankle

A 42 R will fit differently in different brands. Ask sellers for these numbers and compare to get a sense of what alterations you'll need to have done. Good luck.

Thank you.

ThomGault

Reaction score
I'd normally not suggest going to a department store like Macy's to buy a suit, but...in this extreme situation, I'd advise to go to a local store and buy in person simply because if you buy online and you wait for shipment and delivery and something's wrong, you're in an even worse situation. Plus your tailor will need time to make even basic alterations. Overall, though, there is no good solution to your problem.

Last edited:

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Ensure the trouser leg is a little broader at the ankle, double monks are not an attractive option for most (some would say any) suiting.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that budget anything which remotely fits would be a blessing. If you have a new mortgage and an existing suit, why do you not simply wear that?

loveandhate

Reaction score
At that budget anything which remotely fits would be a blessing. If you have a new mortgage and an existing suit, why do you not simply wear that?

No existing suit that fits... or within alteration parameters.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ThomGault is correct if you have no suit at the moment. You have very little time and if it does not fit, no time to return a mail order item and get your money back or argue with a vendor who prefers not to replace the thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads