• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a quick opinion on this combination (party this evening)

mdg137

Reaction score
Im considering this combination for a party this eveing-- RLPL Cashmere Blazer with smoke MOP buttons BB Purple Gingham french cuff shirt... My question is, is the scale of pattern on the tie different enough from the gingham to work? Im thinking, the solid navy of the blazer grounds the combination enough, but opinions would be appreciated. The brighter stripes on the tie are pale blue, and pale purple. By http://profile.imageshack.us/use

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't like the tie.

I'd get a different colored PS as well....

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say it works... Id throw some green, fascia, or brown in there somewhere though.

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
I'd change the tie, ur shirt is plaid, and u have a plaid design on ur tie. overdoing a bit.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I also think it works just fine. I don't see any problems hooking that tie with the shirt. The pattern in the tie is on a much larger scale...doesn't fight the checked shirt at all IMHO.

However I would change the pocket silk...It's a little too chromatic with the rest of the outfit. To bring a bit of fun contrast into the ensemble, I'd probably go after one of the other colors in the tie.

Dennis

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The scaling of the tie pattern works with the shirt, but I don't particularly like the pattern. If that is the only option, and you like it, then go with it. I think the main problem is the pocket square, which really needs to contrast more. I can see something more orangey working.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On second thought. You're in the northern hemisphere right? I'm guessing that because the cashmere suit. The shirt is a very summertime shirt and feels out of place at a winter-time holiday party. I think you could keep everything else and just go with a white shirt. The tie is colorful enough that it will stand out against the white shirt quite nicely. The PS you could leave as is, since the eye would be drawn to the tie; although if you have something that picks up the light blue of the tie, that might work nicely too.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Too matchy-matchy. Try a solid tie (dark brown? maroon?) and throw in a random pocket square.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think.....Navy solid tie if you have one.

I like the pocket square, but i'd rather chose a Light blue, cream or white.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
too much purple shade. I like the tie and pocket square but i think they should be more contrasting. Maybe White aquare and a less busy tie, maybe a black and white.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fixed:

blazerblue.jpg

Of course, your oufit is perfectly nice. I just hate purple
smile.gif

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I like though outfit, though like a lot of people said, I might change the pocket square. Unlike like numerous posters, I like purple, so I'd stay with it. I could see how people would see the gingham shirt as summery, but I don't think it's too much so. You wouldn't be hurt by changing ths shirt, but I think it's also ok as is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads