• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a purse for the wife...

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to buy my wife a nice purse for Christmas - but I sort of want to do it the styleforum way - meaning, I want some artisan making it from selected pieces of leather with an attention to detail that blows away a standard luxury brand...

Anyone know where to go? I scanned purseforum a bit, but they are pretty brand obsessed and the only brand I have any respect for is Hermes and they are ridiculously $$$.

StGermain

Reaction score
Do you want something classic and well made or specifically something one off hand crafted? Brahmin still makes some quality bags that are fairly classic. Well, most styles lean classic rather than the billboard brand obsessed *cough* Coach *cough. Their bags are fairly well made.

BTW, my favorite bag is a vintage unlined black leather Coach Willis Station bag. It makes me sad to see all of the gaudy junk in their window these days.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StGermain
Do you want something classic and well made or specifically something one off hand crafted? Brahmin still makes some quality bags that are fairly classic. Well, most styles lean classic rather than the billboard brand obsessed *cough* Coach *cough. Their bags are fairly well made.

BTW, my favorite bag is a vintage unlined black leather Coach Willis Station bag. It makes me sad to see all of the gaudy junk in their window these days.

Classic and hand made really. Coach is pretty pedestrian and loud imo.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just check out Purseforum and get her something that they like over there.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
ive never been purse shopping but i think it would be wise to ask a female for her advice...avoid coach/LV.maybe a nice burberry would safice lol

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with Hermes or April in Paris

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did the same (trolling tPF for ideas) before I figured out what my girlfriend's tastes are. Almost any girl, if they're into purses, will be bowled over by Hermes but the recognizable bags started at 5-6k. You could always try Valextra for something similarly constructed, Chanel for name cache, etc. There are a lot of options out there. You could also go shopping with her to try to get some ideas.

turboman808

Reaction score
Depends on the girl. If she is someone who can truly appreciate something hand made by a unknown artist then stat looking on Etsy.com. Lots of amazing artist on there.

Channel will do whatever you want. However your gonna pay for it. figure 3-6k depending on what she wants.

Hermes has some nice designs but they always have such weird colors. Not sure what you would call it but it's just such off colors.

Finally something to keep in mind with women(i know I am generalizing). The bags, the shoes etc are more about impressing others it seems. If your girl is more about impressing others then a Coach or LV would be a better gift.

Got my girl a LV bag and I was the ******* man in her friends eyes. I thought the dam thing was ugly myself but it sure earned me brownie points. The Channel bag she loves but never uses because we had it custom made and she is afraid to ruin it.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I second the April in Paris recommendation - handmade, one-off, and appears to be near-Hermes quality

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
my eBay auctions
spam[1].gif
devil.gif
link in my sig
spam[1].gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Women in general aren't into the same aspects of clothes/accessories that men are obviously, and I like them better for it.. Don't need to buy her a Hermes to get a nice bag (although they're nice, and the construction will blow your mind if you've ever worked with leather before), a woman's purse can last days or years depending on how they take care of it.
How about a Givenchy nightinggale?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JhwkMac
No woman's ever been upset with getting a louis vuitton bag. Classic.

Agree on your assessment.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
I second the April in Paris recommendation - handmade, one-off, and appears to be near-Hermes quality

She used to work at Hermes!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads