• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a prom suit

ethfell

Reaction score
So my prom is coming up this june and I have been contemplating suits for some time. Unfortunately my taste is a bit out of my price range. I wanted a tom ford suit but found it was more than 8k. Even worse I tried on a jacket and it was basically perfect. I really love the cocktail jackets he makes with the prints on them from all different seasons of his. If anyone could point me in a direction of where to find some older season stuff that would be awesome. But would be better is if you could recommend something else for me to wear. I would wear tuxedo pants and some color bow tie but I really want some sort of ridiculous, ostentatious looking jacket. Any recommendations would be much appreciated, thanks all

BrianSFL

Reaction score
In your position, I would say rent something instead of buying it.

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
like brian said, rent one.

youre gonna do some growing between now and a couple years down the road. your purchase now whether it be cheap or expensive, will go to waste when your shoulder and chest size bump up 2 notches.

there is alot you can do with a rental suit. buy a shirt, bow, tie and a nice pair of shoes. those will get you noticed moreso than the suit right now. its all about the accessories man.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try MTM. I know that www.mysuitforless.com actually work with customers to create any style said customers desire. Of course, you get what you pay for, so don't expect their work to be on par with Tom Ford.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Buy yourself a nice WHITE dress shirt, a nice BLACK silk bow tie, some shirt studs, and a velvet smoking jacket, in green or purple. You may be able to get them from vintage stores.

ethfell

Reaction score
I have a lot of money and I am fully grown, I like velvetgreen's idea but velvet is a little hot for june
frown.gif
just keep throwing ideas people I'll listen to anything

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ethfell
I have a lot of money and I am fully grown, I like velvetgreen's idea but velvet is a little hot for june
frown.gif
just keep throwing ideas people I'll listen to anything

check ebay.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Fully grown in height maybe. There's much more to finding a well fitting suit than just height. Don't waste money on Tom Ford **** when you're 17. I know this seems like THE pinnacle of your existence, but it's not. Buy something bordering on tacky, like you said, after shopping around at discount stores. Otherwise rent. Thank us in 4 years. Honestly, you have no business buying anything even half the price of Tom Ford at this point.

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
hell, im 22 now, still not sure what my chest size is. if i bought a 2k+ suit when i was 18 going to prom, i sure as hell wouldnt fit it now. i was 5'10 pushing 130 lbs.

ethfell

Reaction score
hhaaha yea i wasnt planning on buying any tom ford unless it was majorly discounted. And I am really diggin that paul smith jacket, would love to see more things like it

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much is a lot (can't be limitless, else the 8k Tom Ford would not be a problem...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads