• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a pair of Oxfords, what brand should i get?

AVT

Reaction score
I am updating my style and therefore I need a new pair of shoes that I can wear with my a preppycasual look.
I was thinking a pair of brown oxfords would do the trick.

But the thing is, i dont know which brands to look for since I actually havent owned a pair of nice leather shoes before.

So, where to look. My budget would usually be sitting at around 200£.
But right now i wont mind a pair cheaper shoes, so i was thinking buying a used pair on ebay, thats maybe originally sits around 200£ new.

So, can someone help me figure out what brands i should look for/ help me find a nice pair on ebay?
I wear i size 8 1/2 in UK size.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
I really should give the OP the benefit of the doubt,
but sounds as if eBay
-- or a "vintage" merchant selling on ebay --
is doing some "research."

I've been lurking for much longer than my membership,
but of late there have been many posts of this nature and tone.
Each time it is by a member with a low post count.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorial1
but sounds as if eBay

I don't see what this dude could stand to gain from his post. I think he just wants the name of an SF-approved trad brown shoe in his price range.

If he was just doing "research", eBay already has a completed listings search that tells you what your stuff is going for.

I agree with the Pediwear suggestion. Crockett & Jones benchgrade are excellent shoes and mostly under 300 GBP. Really if you're going for "preppy casual" I would do brown suede, like this one!

GBer

Reaction score
I see you are talking quid. If you don't live far from Northampton, why don't you make a trip over? The factories sell seconds for good discounts. You can search for more info in the forum.

If you don't know your fit well, you should visit a store or else you are asking for problems. Each shoe can be different from brand to brand, model to model, and last to last. 8.5 in an Italian shoe is not the same as a 8.5 in Crockett & Jones. Suggest searching the forum for more information.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Oh you're british? Do the british have a "preppy?" or is it simply english trad you are looking for? As far as I know preppy takes after the prep schools and Ivys of the America Northeast or the prep schools and fraternities of the American Southeast.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
The British did/do have the Sloane Ranger look.
The Sloanie appears similar to the Prepster,
but the two are likely to have somewhat different outlooks.

AVT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorial1
but sounds as if eBay

I am just looking for a pair of shoes and i just realised a couple of days that ebay might be a place to look
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
Preps don't wear oxfords casually. Hipsters do.

Okey? So what kind of leather shoes would you recommend to a persons that dresses preppy-casual.
(think chinos, shirts, v-necks and so on.)

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's preppy you're going for, you don't want an overly sleek oxford. Allen Edmonds Park Avenue shoe will do, or maybe something by Brooks Brothers. If you want something slightly more stylish and sleek, the possibilities are really big - Crockett and Jones, Santoni, Ferragamo, John Lobbs, Edward Green, etc.

However, wearing oxfords as your every day shoe might be a bit much. If you're dressing a bit preppy anyway, you can get a pair of nice loafers - anything from the original Bass Weejuns (the new ones are terrible, get the originals), which has a lower vamp, to Ralph Lauren Horatios, which has a higher vamp. I have a pair of Horatios and they're one of my best shoes. If you throw on some Allen Edmonds cleaner and conditioner (or even Lexol will work), the leather gains an amazing, amazing depth. The forum also has a ton of other recommendations for loafers - try searching around.

AVT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
If it's preppy you're going for, you don't want an overly sleek oxford. Allen Edmonds Park Avenue shoe will do, or maybe something by Brooks Brothers. If you want something slightly more stylish and sleek, the possibilities are really big - Crockett and Jones, Santoni, Ferragamo, John Lobbs, Edward Green, etc.

However, wearing oxfords as your every day shoe might be a bit much. If you're dressing a bit preppy anyway, you can get a pair of nice loafers

I though oxfords would be great for a every day shoe.
In my head a pair of oxfords would suit my style great.
I usually wear clothes that fit my body well. I am quite skinny, and therefor wear slimfit clothes. (not that extremely skinny hipster stuff)

To set an example of what i could wear:

Slim dark blue jeans
Grey v neck sweater
White button down shirt
and... A pair of brown oxfords???

In my mind oxfords would be the perfect shoe to that attire?
Or do you think i am completely wrong?

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AVT
I though oxfords would be great for a every day shoe.
In my head a pair of oxfords would suit my style great.
I usually wear clothes that fit my body well. I am quite skinny, and therefor wear slimfit clothes. (not that extremely skinny hipster stuff)

To set an example of what i could wear:

Slim dark blue jeans
Grey v neck sweater
White button down shirt
and... A pair of brown oxfords???

In my mind oxfords would be the perfect shoe to that attire?
Or do you think i am completely wrong?

Well first, you don't want to wear the same shoe day in day out - you'll ruin the shoe. You have to give them a day of rest, and put shoe trees in them. So you'll be looking at getting two pairs anyway, and I think the next pair should be loafers, if you're already dressing a bit preppy. As for loafers vs. oxfords - both are fine for what you're wearing (though loafers can't be worn with suits). However, note that oxfords are a much dressier shoe, especially if they're cap toes. Sometimes it's not appropriate to wear given what you may be doing or who you may be seeing that day. Loafers are a nice, more casual, alternative.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Prep genearlly doesn't deal in skinny stuff except maybe well fitted shirts. A pair of decent khakis would look far "preppier" than jeans - preps avoid jeans generally. I hope your button down shirt has a button down collar. A grey sweater is fine if a little plane, but look into Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers' sweater collection.

As far as leather shoes go, penny loafers, moccassins, boat shoes, new balance 574s, and saddle shoes are the standards. Oxfords are certainly important but more so for more formal attire.

Where does one get original Weejuns btw...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads