1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need a nice suit for my wedding in Chicago

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by starbuk, Apr 13, 2016.

1. starbuk

starbuk Member

I've had my suits made to measure in Thailand for the past few years and now that I'm engaged, I won't be setting foot there. Looking for a suit / tuxedo in the Chicagoland area that is a reasonable price. Talked to Despos and he is way out of my price range. So far considering Suit Supply but I have no idea the quality of their work.

Any suggestions on where to go?

I have a nice pair of Vass shoes that look like this and I want to wear them since I need to be comfortable, will it go with a tux?
    [​IMG]

edit - looks like I have a lot to read up on. Thought we were going to do all black matching suits but that sounds like a mistake. I like the idea of doing a navy tuxedo and having groomsmen get a similar color.

Is it most appropriate to wear a suit during the ceremony then change into a tuxedo for the reception?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I'm new to the Chicago area but I have visited the SuSu store several times. My recommendation on them is to stick with the red line if you can. It's more expensive but the quality can be quite a good value. I don't like the lesser lines but many here have utilized them with good results.

3. Simplex

Simplex Member

Another option is to scour Gilt City as they'll sometimes have promotions from different MTM or Bespoke shops (also it's great for trying out new restaurants).

4. starro

starro Senior member

FYI, shoes with broguing and tuxes don't mix.

5. starbuk

starbuk Member

Anyone else agree? I think you may be right. My fiance is freaking out about the whole not matching suits bit...

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yes, they typically don't match.

As for your fiancee freaking out, why not matching navy or midnight blue suits? It's a decent compromise.

7. Caustic Man

He's absolutely right. Only patent leather oxfords or opera pumps may be worn with a tux.

8. starro

starro Senior member

Generally, having groomsmen wearing exactly the same suits is a stupid idea. (now it's up to you to phrase it in a palatable way to your fiancée.)

A modern relaxation of black tie adds black calf leather oxford to the list as well.

9. LA Guy

I agree that it's not a great idea. That said, if a bride asks for it, it's probably a much more stupid idea to stand your ground on that issue. There are ways to make it look at least decent.

10. starro

starro Senior member

Of course, having a fight over said issue is stupider. There is an important (dare I say philosophical?) difference between the principles of male and female attire. Which becomes problematic when the woman starts dictating what the groomsmen should be wearing. What would be ideal in this situation, as well as foreboding of future marital bliss, is for OP to handle his and the groomsmen's dress, and his fiancée hers and the bridesmaids'. Clearly, OP doesn't strike us as the slob so careless that, if left to his own devices, would make egregious decisions for their special day.

11. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

This is sage advice.

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

A wedding planner, if OP hired one, will be great in defusing this situation.

13. starro

starro Senior member

I'm thinking big picture here. If OP and his wife-to-be can't resolve this minor issue, how much hope can they have for the rest of their relationship? Then again, a huge discount needs to be taken to correct for an Internet forum's tendency to blow things out of proportion.

14. Caustic Man

FTFY.

15. starbuk

starbuk Member

When you say matching navy or midnight blue suits, do you mean different suits in the same color or do you mean exactly the same suit in navy?

I wouldn't worry too much about big picture topics when someone is soliciting wedding attire advice. I'm sure we can put our relationship back together after this, the most jarring of arguments.
    -----

The bride will be wearing her dress without the veil and it is an evening wedding at a nice hotel. I think a tuxedo is more appropriate for the groom than a suit, is this correct? Will the groomsmen have to wear tuxedos or can they wear suits if I wear a tux? As far as the matching goes, I am leaning towards being similar but not matching exactly, be it having different style suits, shirts or ties.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  16. Caustic Man

All the men in the wedding party should be wearing a tuxedo if you will be. Being the only one in a tux will make you look oddly overdressed. Indeed, if your wedding is going to be formal then all the men in attendance should be wearing one as well. This rarely happens because so few men actually own one, or will bother to rent one but still, it is proper. By the by, there is nothing wrong with an evening wedding with the men wearing suits. It's simply a matter of formality. If you want a formal event then tuxedos are correct. If you do not, then suits are fine.

Also, don't take relationship advice on SF (or anywhere else on the internet, I would say). They know nothing about you or your wife to be.

17. starbuk

starbuk Member

Thanks Caustic. We won't be able to make everyone dress in tuxedos, unfortunately. I would love to be able to wear a nice new suit because then I can wear my comfortable shoes posted in the OP. But I'm just not sure that is appropriate for a wedding. The shoes are my major concern about tuxes along with making a few groomsmen buy a nice tux, but that is my problem to deal with.

18. Caustic Man

Suits are perfectly fine. A wedding is a joyous occasion that is not necessarily a formal event. They can be if you like, but don't have to be.

1 person likes this.
  19. LA Guy

If you wear a tux, they really should as well.

I meant matching suits, since your bride-to-be seems to have that in her mind. I think that it could look rather silly, but a good compromise might just be to ask everyone to wear a suit in the same configuration (2 button midnight blue double vented suit never hurt anyone) and material, but in a style that matches their personality and body type. I don't know your budget or location, so it's hard for me to give concrete suggestions, but someone like Mr Ned (www.mrnednyc.com) could easily accomodate your party. Of course, the price is $950/suit, which is, while not high for a custom suit and the services of a company with a long record of success, like Mr. Ned, is typically out of the price range at which most men are comfortable. Then again, your party could be the exception.

This.

And really, don't fight with your fiance about this. While her expectations may clash with the "correct" way of doing things, they are pretty common requests, and not unreasonable ones. She may be thinking about wedding pictures.

Yes, acceding to the bride's wishes may be a bit old fashioned, but traditional weddings are pretty old fashioned events. The general principle to be followed is to show a bit of chivalry. And if that means that you have to look slightly silly, then so be it.

1 person likes this.
  20. starbuk

starbuk Member

Thank you for the thoughtful post. I'm starting to get a picture of how things will look.

The issue is making people spend $1000 or even $750 on a tuxedo. I'm ok doing this for my wedding, but it will be an issue for at least 3 of the groomsmen. If the choice is between renting a tuxedo or allowing people to bring their own suits which match, it sounds like the best bet is to avoid the rental and let them bring their own.