• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a new video card

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to build a serious gaming pc within a reasonable budget, it's certainly possible. You can get a rather powerful computer for 600-800. Personally, I'd recommend it over trying to patch up holes in an aging system.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
If you want to build a serious gaming pc within a reasonable budget, it's certainly possible. You can get a rather powerful computer for 600-800. Personally, I'd recommend it over trying to patch up holes in an aging system.

Yeah, it's amazing how fast computers age. My machine was built about 2 years ago. It has a P4 with 1 gig DDR2 ram and a 128mb Nvidia video card. It's still working very well, but for gaming and Vista, so I feel guilty getting another one so soon.

Maybe after I graduate, I'll splurge on something stupid like an Alienware rig.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** Vista. Seriously, do not factor that into your decision in any way. It's a thoroughly useless OS, and no one should be thinking of switching for at least a year, and it's a dubious proposition even after a lot of patching.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** Vista. Seriously, do not factor that into your decision in any way. It's a thoroughly useless OS, and no one should be thinking of switching for at least a year, and it's a dubious proposition even after a lot of patching.

I already got it.
peepwall[1].gif
It was a moment of weakness.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You paid for it? You paid for Windows? Who does that?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know man, it was a moment of weakness. Now I need to go steal some software just to be my bad self again.

vanity

Reaction score
Someone has paid for Vista. Willingly.

Close this thread immediately.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
Someone has paid for Vista. Willingly.

Close this thread immediately.

Alright, alright, I'm going to go pray to the pirates' god to clean my sins.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Raises hand meekly
lookaround.gif

In my defense this was 2001 once I got a job and was replacing my PC for the first time in 4 years... 95OSR2 no longer worked with new hardware

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I paid for vista. This is the first time i have paid for an operating system (and i've been using them since windows 3.1 and DOS 4 & 6.22). Actually, i think it's the first time i've paid for software
lookaround.gif
. It will probably be the os i use for the next 3-4-5 years, and only cost me about $200, so i'm not that worried.

When i played BF2 i used a MSY X800XT; and never had any problems.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Supreme Commander will rock your computer even harder. I don't think there exists a PC that can play that game at full detail, largest map, and lots of AI. But at least now there's justification for a quad-core PC.

--Andre

Mine does a pretty good job with Supreme Commander.. I've never noticed any slowdowns even with the huge end-game maps in single player with all 3 races. I have it cranked to max detail in game and have a modded graphics driver (NGO) that increases image quality even higher than standard drivers. C2D [email protected], 2GB RAM, and an 7900GTX.

I haven't played it much in the past couple weeks.. been busy, but I am definitely looking forward to Crysis and Spore. Those should be pretty wicked. I may need a new vid card, though as they look to be pretty demanding.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After much deliberation, I finally bought an e-GeForce 7600GT for $99 shipped from eBay. I think this will do okay until I need a new computer. Thanks brian for the suggestions.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Maybe after I graduate, I'll splurge on something stupid like an Alienware rig.
Don't get Alienware or Falcon Northwest or any of those monsters. You can create a comparable system buying separate parts on NewEgg or one of the small guys advertised in magazines like PC Gamer if you need it pre-assembled.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Don't get Alienware or Falcon Northwest or any of those monsters. You can create a comparable system buying separate parts on NewEgg or one of the small guys advertised in magazines like PC Gamer if you need it pre-assembled.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

That's why "splurge" and "stupid" were included in my statement. I've been building my own desktops since I started undergrad in '97. I just want to see what it feels like to enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor.

vanity

Reaction score
I was shopping Alienware and Falcon Northwest for my latest build. FN got factored out completely b/c the pricing is in the $4k+ range. I built a few Alienware rigs that looked good for around $2000-2500.

Just as a test I built my own on New Egg. Ended up $900. (minus case, fans, hard drive, power supply)

If you price out the parts yourself, it gets really hard to justify the professional builds. And I think you should build to be disposable anyway. I put together a new machine every 2 years to keep up with games. I don't know about you guys, but I can't afford $2500+ every 2 years. $900 is much easier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads